Buddhist monks charged with child abuse in Thailand

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Buddhist monks charged with child abuse in Thailand

Postby plwk » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:10 am

Thai police say they have charged five defrocked Buddhist abbots with sexually abusing eight boys at monasteries around the northern city of Chiang Mai.
More here
Last edited by mikenz66 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image unrelated to story removed - mikenz66
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Re: Buddhist monks charged with child abuse in Thailand

Postby manas » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:51 am

If those former monks are found to have been guilty of this crime, I hope that justice actually gets done, and they get a lengthy prison sentence. Childhood sexual abuse has a devastating impact on the child, and the effects usually last well into adulthood. Some have to deal with the after-effects for their entire lives. I really feel for the kids, what a terrible betrayal of trust.

:candle:
manas

Postby Mkoll » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:16 am

Talk about bad kamma...
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Denisa » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:14 am

plwk wrote:Thai police say they have charged five defrocked Buddhist abbots with sexually abusing eight boys at monasteries around the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Five "so-called monks" in the photo looks young, I don't know what the Buddha's guideline, but to become an abbot there should be some maturity and development at least IMHO. Not being a monk, even my grandson has better ethics caring for other humans for his young age. Curious to see about their teachers too...

All over the web we read a lot about corrupted monks from Thailand, but don't think they are alone:

The main force behind this Sangha Council is a political movement called 'Jatika Heḷa Urumaya (National Sinhalese Heritage)', which consists of members from both clergy and laity, who grasp race and religion in an extreme way. In 2011, one senior member of this movement, an ex-member of Parliament, the abbot of Srī Vivekārāmaya, Mīrigama, Ven. (Aparekke) Paññānanda, was arrested for severe sexual abuses of five under-age (between 10 to 14 years) novice monks in his temple. Ven.[?] Paññānanda had confessed his crime to the court. Are such bhikkhus protecting The Buddha's teachings or destroying it?

- fn.# 391 on pg.# 106

It's clear these monks have no love towards the Buddha and no respect towards his Dhamma, should we even call them as "monks"? May be they just put the robe simply to disgrace it by doing bad things as monks. Because, after reading stories about "monks" like this old bhikkhu, it's very difficult to use the same term for those.
Denisa

Postby Mkoll » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:22 am

The main force behind this Sangha Council is a political movement called 'Jatika Heḷa Urumaya (National Sinhalese Heritage)', which consists of members from both clergy and laity, who grasp race and religion in an extreme way. In 2011, one senior member of this movement, an ex-member of Parliament, the abbot of Srī Vivekārāmaya, Mīrigama, Ven. (Aparekke) Paññānanda, was arrested for severe sexual abuses of five under-age (between 10 to 14 years) novice monks in his temple. Ven.[?] Paññānanda had confessed his crime to the court. Are such bhikkhus protecting The Buddha's teachings or destroying it?
Definitely an elementary question.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:23 am

Denisa wrote:Five "so-called monks" in the photo looks young, ...

I think that the samaneras in the photo are supposed to represent the abused, not the abusers...

And I've now removed the photo to avoid confusion...

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Denisa » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:38 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Denisa wrote:Five "so-called monks" in the photo looks young, ...

I think that the samaneras in the photo are supposed to represent the abused, not the abusers...

Thank you, but it's misleading. Abusers are "five Buddhist abbots", and the victims were "eight boys". The picture shows "five Buddhists monks/abbots".

EDIT: Also from the link in the 1st post:
Monks in Thailand, where some 95 percent of the population are practising Buddhists, have been hit by a series of scandals, with local media reporting cases of drug-taking, drinking, gambling and visiting prostitutes.

In September, authorities seized nearly $800,000 worth of assets, including a Porsche and a Mercedes-Benz, from a monk who was defrocked for a controversial trip in a private jet and who was also accused of fathering a child by an under-aged girl a decade earlier.

Come to touch with this beautiful teaching by the Buddha, but see what these foolish people do, what a waste, what a waste!!
Denisa

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:50 am

I guess plwk couldn't find a suitable stock picture of 8 samaneras to illustrate the post...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:42 am

There is much happening in the East (Both Middle- and Far-) that arouses disquiet, uneasiness and distaste, with regard to sexual assaults and perversion towards minors/women.

It seems prevalent in societies where children are afforded no respect, and women are regarded as chattels.

it's quite distressing, to be sure.
However, let us not ride to high upon our horses.... The UK, of all the countries in Europe, has too high a number of cases of domestic abuse. The highest, in fact.

It's easy for us British to stand in condemnation of such external atrocities, while gamely ignoring the outrageous record of similar crimes here.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby plwk » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:45 am

I guess plwk couldn't find a suitable stock picture of 8 samaneras to illustrate the post...

Mike
Read my mind mike, tks. Next time, I will just post bare news...
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby Kusala » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:53 am

264. "Not by shaven head does a man who is indisciplined and untruthful become a monk. How can he who is full of desire and greed be a monk?"

266. "He is not a monk just because he lives on others' alms. Not by adopting outward form does one become a true monk."

270. "He is not noble who injures living beings. He is called noble because he is harmless towards all living beings."

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Postby Denisa » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:05 am

plwk wrote:

Mike
Read my mind mike, tks. Next time, I will just post bare news...

A picture is OK, if it's directly related to the news, especially in this kind of one. Otherwise it'll offend those venerables in the picture whom has nothing to do with the mentioned news.

I wonder what will happen if we attach mikenz66's or TheNoBSBuddhist's face to it! :) And thanks Kusala for posting from Dhammapada.

EDIT: typo
Last edited by Denisa on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denisa

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:14 am

....Why pick on us....?! :jawdrop:

:jumping:

(In truth, I could no more behave in such a way as I could imagine making love to a mushroom....)

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Denisa » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:31 am

That's my point. Nobody likes their picture appear in news that they are not connected to, especially one in this nature.
Denisa

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:41 am

I've removed the photo, on the off-chance someone looks at the thread and recognises those samaneras...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby greeneggsandsam » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Denisa wrote:
plwk wrote:Thai police say they have charged five defrocked Buddhist abbots with sexually abusing eight boys at monasteries around the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Five "so-called monks" in the photo looks young, I don't know what the Buddha's guideline, but to become an abbot there should be some maturity and development at least IMHO. Not being a monk, even my grandson has better ethics caring for other humans for his young age. Curious to see about their teachers too...

I think this is a good point. To my knowledge I don't this sort of thing is common in the west (if,at all). I think perhaps it could be due to ordination not seen as such a big thing for a thai person - not to say anything about the dedicated ones like ajahn chah (or non-western person). I have heard of parents sending their kids for ordination just to 'sort them out'. In my experience in Australia, I think if I told my parents/ friends I was ordaining they would get a big shock.

Not to make a general assumption but I think as a western person (most of the time) ordination is due to mostly internal factors -

and in non-western (buddhist) countries (sometimes) ordination is due to external factors - more socially acceptable, family, more social status etc etc.

And also it seems to be in monasteries full of money and power (like the ones in big capital cities). I have a sri lankan friend and the monk from a monastery in colombo lives close by ( a very wealthy area and I believe he drives a porsche if I recall correctly).
greeneggsandsam

Return to Lounge