Ask a Physicist to speak at your funeral

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Interesting! :smile:

Http://www.iflscience.com/physics/ask-p ... -funeral-0

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
sattva

Re: Ask a Physicist to speak at your funeral

Post by sattva »

I have read this before and it is easy to see that this is NOT the way to deal with anyone grieving. At my Mother's funeral the pastor said we would see my mom again if we accepted Jesus Christ and went to heaven (I am sure he was directing those words to myself and others he wasn't too sure about). It was even worse at my Uncle's funeral (they went to the same church), he kind of insinuated that it was iffy if my uncle would go to heaven. He has all the compassion and wisdom...oh well...you can figure the rest out!!! I can actually laugh about it now. Unfortunately, I think we will probably have one more funeral to go through with this man.
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I liked the idea of "Speaker for the Dead" that Orson Scott Card came up with in the Ender series - basically a lay celebrant who would sympathetically sum up the the life of the dead person in such a way that the mourners could come to terms with any unresolved conflicts.

I have no idea what I would want for my own funeral, though, and it doesn't really bother me - funerals are for the living, and I won't even be there anyway.

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Science as religion - no thanks!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I guess I am nerdy enough (or something) to find some of it meaningful, though of course very one-sided. Thanks, cooran!
_/|\_