Hardline Buddhists want Pope Francis to apologize

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Hardline Buddhists want Pope Francis to apologize

Post by plwk »

A Buddhist group accused of instigating recent attacks on Muslims in Sri Lanka says Pope Francis must apologize to Buddhists for atrocities allegedly committed by Christian colonial rulers of the South Asian island nation when he visits next year. More here
Mkoll

Re: Hardline Buddhists want Pope Francis to apologize

Post by Mkoll »

"Hardline Sri Lankan Buddhists want Pope Francis to apologize" would be a more accurate title. There's definitely a nationalistic streak in what they say here:
"We are waiting till the Pope comes to see what he is going to say about the crimes here," Rev. Galagoda Atte Gnanasara, a leader of Bodu Bala Sena, or Buddhist Power Force group, told a meeting with foreign correspondents.

"The Portuguese, Dutch and the British are all the same to us," he said referring to the countries that had established colonies in Sri Lanka one after another from 1505 to 1948. Roman Catholicism was established in Sri Lanka by the Portuguese, while the Dutch and the British established their own Christian denominations.
That's not to say I'm trying to excuse violence-promoting religious extremist groups of any stripe. All such groups should confess to their crimes and be disbanded at once, IMO.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Wow! We have our very own hardline group now! Yay...
_/|\_
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

plwk wrote:Image
A Buddhist group accused of instigating recent attacks on Muslims in Sri Lanka says Pope Francis must apologize to Buddhists for atrocities allegedly committed by Christian colonial rulers of the South Asian island nation when he visits next year. More here
I completely agree.
Providing he in turn apologises for all the atrocities perpetrated by Tibetan Buddhists on the Chinese, as accounted by authenticated facts in the History of Tibet, and Sri Lankan Buddhists on Muslims of late.

That would balance things up nicely.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

"Buddhist Power Force group"
A uniquely dismaying and dispiriting phrase.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

There's a history of Buddhist Nationalism in Sri Lanka.. at first as an ideological force against the British, then the Tamils and now Muslims. Sri Lanka has a bloody future.

Have any Western monks in Sri Lanka publicly denounced such groups?
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Ben

Post by Ben »

Perhaps the Sri Lankans should look at themselves and their ongoing atrocities against Sri Lankan Tamils.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What is the purpose.
It will be more productive to talk about what is happening in the present moment.
Is this group going to say sorry to the Muslims?
It is fruitless to put too much emphasis to talk about what happen in the past.

However the Sorry Speech by Australian prime minister is a historical event.
But it is relation to Aboriginal reconciliation. There is a purpose.
What a great man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5KlyT5XsqQ
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ben wrote:Perhaps the Sri Lankans should look at themselves and their ongoing atrocities against Sri Lankan Tamils.
Hi Ben I am sure you are referring to Tamil civilians.

Tamil terrorist killed so many civilians.
Do not forget the bombing of Sacred Tooth temple in Kandy and the bombing of Bo tree temple in Anuradhapura killing people observing eight precepts.
:cry:
Ben

Post by Ben »

SarathW wrote: What a great man!

With respect, Sarath, I disagree.
Rudd's 'Sorry' speech was nothing more than a cynical political stunt to galvanise his popularity following the 2007 election.
Rudd was very good in gestures but not at implementation. He was also one of the most narcissistic, selfish and nasty individuals we have had in the role of PM. Rudd essentially stalked and ruthlessly undermined Gillard so that he could regain the prime ministership. It is because of Rudd we now have Abbott as PM and his confederacy of economic, environmental and social vandals in power.

With respect to the Vatican apologising to Sri Lanka - it's just a distraction from the parlous situation on the ground in SL at the moment where one part of the population is experiencing ongoing persecution. Persecution, may I add, that is being aided and abetted by Tony Abbott.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Ben
I am not political. I left it long time ago.
I value people based on each action.
Sometimes they are good sometimes they are bad.
Just like me.
:)
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Ben wrote:
SarathW wrote: What a great man!

With respect, Sarath, I disagree.
Rudd's 'Sorry' speech was nothing more than a cynical political stunt to galvanise his popularity following the 2007 election.
Rudd was very good in gestures but not at implementation. He was also one of the most narcissistic, selfish and nasty individuals we have had in the role of PM. Rudd essentially stalked and ruthlessly undermined Gillard so that he could regain the prime ministership. It is because of Rudd we now have Abbott as PM and his confederacy of economic, environmental and social vandals in power.
The wisdom of retrospect! At the time (2007) many many people were moved and inspired by this gesture. But yes, sadly, I agree with your assessment, Ben.
_/|\_