The Experience of Coma

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
pilgrim

The Experience of Coma

Post by pilgrim »

Has anyone here been in a coma?
If you have, could you share the experience? Was it just a blank period of time or was there periods of awareness?
SarathW

Re: The Experience of Coma

Post by SarathW »

I spoke to two people who went in a coma.
The first one was in a coma for two months. The person said that s/he do not remember anything.

The second person was in a coma for one week. I was near the person and talking to s/he every day for seven days.
s/he said that s/he remember I was talking. But I guess that could be towards the last phase of the coma.

:group:
PS: Never give up on a person in a coma!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
sattva

Post by sattva »

I have never been in a coma, but I have heard Buddhist teachers say that often the person in a coma can hear what is going on around him/her. Therefore, it is important to watch what you say and what sounds are going on in the room. I remember reading somewhere where a man was with his father who was in a coma. When the father woke up he was talking about all of the shenanigans at the hospital. Seemed that someone had been turning on soap operas while they were in his room. He thought they were real events!
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I haven't, but my grandfather was in a coma for several months. He said it was a long, long dream of being strapped to a flatbed pickup truck - and that it was cold. Which didn't surprise me, as they kept his room really cool and he was stretched almost flat with next to nothing on, with a ventilator huffing and huffing.
plwk

Post by plwk »

PS: Never give up on a person in a coma!
Easier said than done huh? Unless you have a loaded wallet that is a bottomless well...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Plwk
I understand what exactly what you mean.
But we have to agree not to give up at least in principal.
We should do everything possible to save a life.
I don't want some one to switch off my life support the first day I am in a Coma.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”