Blessed Dhamma / Asalha Puja Day

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Blessed Dhamma / Asalha Puja Day

Post by plwk »

Video Description
The Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (Pali; Sansrit: Dharmacakra Pravartana Sūtra; English: The Setting in Motion of the Wheel of Dharma) is a Buddhist text that is considered to be a record of the first teaching given by the Buddha after he attained enlightenment.

The main topic of this sutta is the Four Noble Truths, which are the central teachings of Buddhism that provide a unifying theme, or conceptual framework, for all of Buddhist thought. This sutta also introduces the Buddhist concepts of the middle way, impermanence, and dependent origination.
Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting the Wheel of Dhamma in Motion
"And what is the middle way realized by the Tathagata that — producing vision, producing knowledge — leads to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding?

Precisely this Noble Eightfold Path: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.
This is the middle way realized by the Tathagata that — producing vision, producing knowledge — leads to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding.

"And, monks, as long as this — my three-round, twelve-permutation knowledge & vision concerning these four noble truths as they have come to be — was not pure, I did not claim to have directly awakened to the right self-awakening unexcelled in the cosmos with its deities, Maras, & Brahmas, with its contemplatives & brahmans, its royalty & commonfolk.

But as soon as this — my three-round, twelve-permutation knowledge & vision concerning these four noble truths as they have come to be — was truly pure, then I did claim to have directly awakened to the right self-awakening unexcelled in the cosmos with its deities, Maras & Brahmas, with its contemplatives & brahmans, its royalty & commonfolk.

Knowledge & vision arose in me: 'Unprovoked is my release. This is the last birth. There is now no further becoming.'"
A Blessed Dhamma / Asalha Puja Day to All! May the Monastic Sangha have a fruitful & successful Vassa (Rains Retreat) tomorrow :anjali:
sattva

Re: Blessed Dhamma / Asalha Puja Day

Post by sattva »

Thanks for posting this, plwk! :anjali:
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
cooran

Re: Blessed Dhamma / Asalha Puja Day

Post by cooran »

Thanks Plwk.

Here is a little more about it:

Asalha Puja
http://www.buddhamind.info/leftside/lif ... asalha.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---