Causes of intolerance and prejudice in Buddhism

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Causes of intolerance and prejudice in Buddhism

Postby Mr Man » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:42 am

I came across this article, which may be of interest to some - "Causes of intolerance and prejudice in Buddhism"

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandal ... -buddhism/
Mr Man

Re: Causes of intolerance and prejudice in Buddhism

Postby LXNDR » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:30 am

Paul Fuller wrote:There is an historic pride in the fundamental goodness of the Dhamma which causes conflict and hostility.

shrewd observation

the assertion of the Buddha that it's his Dhamma which leads to liberation and demonstration that other doctrines are erroneous, in an unskillful mind may engender a sense of disparagement for other teachings
LXNDR

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:07 am

Thank you, Mr Man for such an article.

A Rabbi and a cantor are standing in the largely empty synagogue one day, talking mystically about how, given the awesome glory of God’s Infinite Divine Presence, they are each really “nothing.” “Yes,” says the Rabbi, “I am nothing!” The cantor also affirms, looking up to the heavens, “O God, I am completely nothing!” And they go on like this for several rounds—”I am nothing… I am utterly nothing.”

Meanwhile, the synagogue’s janitor is off in the corner on his hands and knees, scrubbing the floor. Filled with piety and a fervent spirit, he has all the while been repeating in a gentle voice, “O Lord, You are everything and I am nothing… I am nothing.” The Rabbi and cantor at one point listen in and, after a few moments, come to realize what he is saying. At this, the rabbi nudges the cantor and smugly says, “Look who thinks he’s nothing!”

The immediate thought that came to my mind, as I read the last line, was the quotation by the Dalai Lama.

"Whenever possible, be kind.
It is ALWAYS possible."
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Sam Vara » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:35 am

Possibly a merely semantic point, but no less important for that.

There are no causes of intolerance and prejudice within Buddhism. There are causes of intolerance and prejudice within countries, cultures, communities and individuals who claim to be Buddhist. That is only natural, and to be expected to some extent. Those causes have been clearly delineated by the Buddha.
"And what is the root of the unwholesome? Greed is a root of the unwholesome; hate is a root of the unwholesome; delusion is a root of the unwholesome. This is called the root of the unwholesome.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.009.ntbb.html
Sam Vara

Return to Lounge