Looking for a sutta for a concert

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Looking for a sutta for a concert

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 am

Hello

I know someone who is planning a concert of a band that I really, really like. He said that they were planning to do a concert where, while they are playing the instruments, some people read texts in different languages. The theme of the texts, generaly speaking, is about water, its limited quanity on Earth, and how precious and important it is.

I know some members here are like walking sutta encyclopedias. So I would like to ask if someone can point me to a sutta with such a theme and I will try to find the pali version for the reading. It doesn't need to exactly match the above theme. But at least some overlap would be good.

Thank you in advance. :smile:

Metta
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Re: Looking for a sutta for a concert

Postby cooran » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:57 am

Udakupama Sutta : The Water Simile
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Not sure how you can present this ....
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:00 am

I do not know of a specific Sutta, but I found this, and wondered if its contents could be of use to you...
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Thank you both, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. Although the second link was closer.

The theme is about water itself, its finiteness and preciousness. Maybe if there's a sutta describing meditation on the water element that reflects this theme? Or maybe a sutta describing how, with the disbandment of the 4 elements there is nothing left of a person in this planet. Or maybe even how, with the disbandment of the 4 elements, the arahat enters parinibbana. In any of the cases of the 4 elements, it would be nice that water is mentioned in a particular paragraph.

I will try to search the Vissuddhimagga for reflection/concentration on the water element.

Metta :smile:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby daverupa » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:22 pm

Water references seem to be solely for purposes of demonstration, in the Nikayas:

Water that's clear and calm offers no obstructions to seeing, while dirty and turbulent water does.
Water in the oceans is outstripped by the tears of suffering beings.
Water in great quantities hides a single salt crystal, while smaller quantities ensure that the salt has greater import.
Water that fills a pool through upwelling seepage is an aspect of a jhana pericope.
Water can slide right off a lotus leaf just as contacts slide off a sage.

...and so on.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby santa100 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:The theme is about water itself, its finiteness and preciousness. Maybe if there's a sutta describing meditation on the water element that reflects this theme? Or maybe a sutta describing how, with the disbandment of the 4 elements there is nothing left of a person in this planet. Or maybe even how, with the disbandment of the 4 elements, the arahat enters parinibbana. In any of the cases of the 4 elements, it would be nice that water is mentioned in a particular paragraph.

Various water similes here
santa100

Postby Mkoll » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:17 pm

I didn't think it was possible to hear the words "sutta" and "concert" in the same sentence. :tongue:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Mkoll wrote:I didn't think it was possible to hear the words "sutta" and "concert" in the same sentence. :tongue:

Hehe.

You can listen to the band here. You don't need to watch the entire video. Just get past the inicial 20 seconds of piano outburst. They're really good, imo.

Thank you for the references so far. I think it's going to be harder than I initially thought.
Modus.Ponens

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:59 pm

Nothing worse than hard water..... :tongue:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby alan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Don't think you'll find anything about the finiteness of water in the suttas. Ask anyone who has lived through a rainy season in Asia…water seems less than precious at that time.
alan

Return to Lounge