I'm very new to Buddhism, and I am attempting to understand as much as I can. I am a person who learns the best from written analysis of any material I want to absorb, and I was wondering if there are established methods of tackling suttas, like a series of questions one should ask to get further insight that could be applicable to any sutta...
I've gleaned some information from "Befriending the Suttas: Tips on Reading the Pali Discourses" (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/befriending.html). Some questions they suggest include:
- What is the setting?
- What is the story?
- Who initiates the teaching?
- Who is teaching?
- To whom are the teachings directed?
- What is the method of presentation?
- What is the essential teaching?
- How does it end?
- What does this sutta have to offer me?