Locating a paperback Visuddhimagga

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
appicchato

Locating a paperback Visuddhimagga

Post by appicchato »

Greetings,

I've been looking high and low for a paperback copy of the Visuddhimagga...to no avail...if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative...thank you... :smile:
Cittasanto

Re: Locating a paperback Visuddhimagga

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Bhante,
http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDeta ... 90&MATCH=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wisdom books has a copy (see link above).
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Venerable

Pariyatti now publish a paperback version of the Vissudhimagga.
http://www.pariyatti.org/Bookstore/prod ... sku=771110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Thank you Ben...much obliged... :smile:
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Does anyone have a spare copy to send to the venerable? Maybe that would be helpful?
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

mine is not paperback but bhante is very welcome to it if he so wishes

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

You're very kind Manapa, thank you...but I'm more or less a wanderer and the bulk and weight of the hardcover is a bit much to carry...I rip half the bristles out of my toothbrush (amongst other things) to lessen the 'load'...

The cost is covered and it was just a matter of finding a source to obtain it...I didn't mean to appear 'fishing' in my query...

Be well... :smile:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I didn't think you were fishing and almost sent you a PM offering mine, I had to give it a dust the other day as I noticed it had gained a decent amount of dust from the never reading it since I got it (I think I have opend it 3 times and once was because I accidently droped it)

John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Manapa wrote: I noticed it had gained a decent amount of dust from the never reading it since I got it (I think I have opend it 3 times and once was because I accidently droped it)
The Visuddhimagga reminds me a lot of the Abhidhamma. Maybe because of all the analysis or maybe because it is a great cure to insomnia.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

TheDhamma wrote:
Manapa wrote: I noticed it had gained a decent amount of dust from the never reading it since I got it (I think I have opend it 3 times and once was because I accidently droped it)
The Visuddhimagga reminds me a lot of the Abhidhamma. Maybe because of all the analysis or maybe because it is a great cure to insomnia.
as it is 4am here it is getting its 4th opening

John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Manapa wrote:
TheDhamma wrote:
as it is 4am here it is getting its 4th opening

:thumbsup:

1. :reading:
2. :meditate:
3. :sage:
4. :buddha2:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I may seam to be online but really I may be doing a number 2

:meditate:

:tongue:

John Stuart Mill
Kare

Post by Kare »

appicchato wrote:Greetings,

I've been looking high and low for a paperback copy of the Visuddhimagga...to no avail...if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative...thank you... :smile:
The Bhumibalobhikkhu Institute (situated at Wat Saket, Bangkok) has published a paperback edition (in 3 volumes) in Pali, Thai script. They also have published the Commentary and the Subcommentary (3 volumes each). The commentaries have the same paragraph numberings as the main text, and commented words are underlined, so that it is very convenient to navigate in the volumes and use these together.
Mettāya,
Kåre
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:I may seam to be online but really I may be doing a number 2

I certainly hope you're talking about those emoticons!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:I may seam to be online but really I may be doing a number 2

I certainly hope you're talking about those emoticons!

Metta,
Retro. :)
HEHE

yeah I ended up falling asleap aroun 6 this morning

John Stuart Mill