The Beatles

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

The Beatles

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:57 am

Seeing as Beatlemania seems to be back for the time being, I thought it would be worth a topic on the most successful band in history (in terms of sales).

Anybody a fan? I've been a fan of them for around two years now, and a BIG one for about half that, so I treated myself and bought the Remastered Box Set that arrived yesterday afternoon, and it really has made almost miraculous improvements to an already incredible back catalogue.

I'm sure not everyone is a fan, but their huge influence and the way they pushed the boundaries of music cannot really be questioned.

I've got a fun few days ahead of me!
Perry

Re: The Beatles

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Greetings,

I think they were a very good band but their popularity is a bit disproportional to how good they actually were. They had some good songs but if you listen to their albums too, they also had a lot of dross.

Better than the R****** S***** of course ;)

:stirthepot:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:47 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I think they were a very good band but their popularity is a bit disproportional to how good they actually were. They had some good songs but if you listen to their albums too, they also had a lot of dross.

Their dross is far better than a lot other's number one hits. Their popularity had to do with their original freshness and creativity that made it an occassion of excitment when a new single was released, not to mention a new album. They were the pivot point of a transformation of popular music.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby pink_trike » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Better than the R****** S***** of course ;)

:stirthepot:

Metta,

A big part of their success was the context of the times - and the contrast, yet compatibility, of their product to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQM5BTnzV_8

The Rolling Stones made the Beatles look like a children's singing along. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfcisnVHtA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjaUTt5z ... re=related
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby appicchato » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:35 pm

pink_trike wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:The Rolling Stones made the Beatles look like a children's singing along. ;)

:thumbsup:
appicchato

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:43 pm

appicchato wrote:
pink_trike wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:The Rolling Stones made the Beatles look like a children's singing along. ;)

No question that the Stones were good, but they were always playing catch-up to the Beatles. There were other groups, such as the Velevt Underground which one can point to as groundbreaking to which the Beatles owed something. It was the Beatles trhat opened the door.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:00 pm

I don't really subscribe to the rock music attitude of "pick one artist to love, and f**k all the rest". I just like what I like.

Has anyone else had a listen to the remasters? A Day In The Life was mindblowing, it was like listening to it for the first time again.
Perry

Postby pink_trike » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:41 pm

tiltbillings wrote:No question that the Stones were good, but they were always playing catch-up to the Beatles.

:rofl:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Greetings Tilt, all,

tiltbillings wrote:Their dross is far better than a lot other's number one hits.

I should hope so. Generally speaking, to get to number one, a song has to be pitched towards the lowest common denominator, and you could possibly say that was the case with some of the Beatles early number ones. Thankfully the Beatles had garnered enough attention through that period that they could start expanding musically and actually put out some good songs in the process, and regardless of whether they were mainstream or not (in terms of their sound), they were bound to get the attention because of the preceding "Beatlemania".

Just as it is with movies, often the most creative and meaningful artistic output in the musical sphere, is not that which is thrust in your face by the commercial media.

My entirely subjective Beatles Top 5...

1. Here Comes The Sun (how could anyone with mild Seasonal Affective Disorder not love this song? :tongue: )
2. Penny Lane (all round quality song, contains all the elements of classic British pop)
3. Strawberry Fields Forever (nice musical experimentation their part... though clearly that's not all the experimentation that was going on ;) )
4. Let It Be (despite the Mother Mary bit, there's some nice "words of wisdom" in this)
5. Hello, Goodbye (nice little pop song, kinda stupid)

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby christopher::: » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:44 am

pmwhewitt wrote:I don't really subscribe to the rock music attitude of "pick one artist to love, and f**k all the rest". I just like what I like.

Has anyone else had a listen to the remasters? A Day In The Life was mindblowing, it was like listening to it for the first time again.

I agree with you pmwhewitt, no need to knock the music of bands that don't do anything for you but are enjoyed by others. Great music stands on its own, doesnt need comparisons.

BTW I almost went out and got Abbey Road yesterday, its such a work of art. Look forward to hearing Sgt Pepper as well. There is a remastered version of A Day in the Life on the Love album that George Martin produced a few years ago, so i know what you mean. This too is a great tune, a blending of Tomorrow Never Knows (based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead) with Within You Without You (Hindu influence)....

And of course, if that doesn't rock your boat, there's always...

((( :bow: )))
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:52 am

christopher::: wrote:
pmwhewitt wrote:I don't really subscribe to the rock music attitude of "pick one artist to love, and f**k all the rest". I just like what I like.

I agree with you pmwhewitt, no need to knock the music of bands that don't do anything for you but are enjoyed by others. Great music stands on its own, doesnt need comparisons.

BTW I almost went out and got Abbey Road yesterday, its such a work of art. Look forward to hearing Sgt Pepper as well. There is a remastered version of A Day in the Life on the Love album that George Martin produced a few years ago, so i know what you mean. This too is a great tune, a blending of Tomorrow Never Knows (based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead) with Within You Without You (Hindu influence)....

((( :bow: )))

Yes, Love certainly has its moments! And I do recommend Abbey Road remastered! The remastered medley is incredible, I'm not a huge of the track Golden Slumbers but was pleasantly surprised at the vast improvement here.

I like the way they have only cleaned up the sound, and the mistakes in the recording have been left intact. George Harrison totally making a mess of the introduction of Money is made very clear!
Perry

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:44 am

pink_trike wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:No question that the Stones were good, but they were always playing catch-up to the Beatles.

:rofl:

Well, the Beatles gave us Sgt Pepper's and the Stones? The lameness of Their Satanic Majesties Request. Fortunately, after that, they recovered. I'm stll partial to 12x5, Out Of Our Heads, and the loopy Between the Buttons.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:02 pm

The UK charts were announced today, and four Beatles albums have returned to the UK top ten. Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band takes no. 5, with Abbey Road just behind at no. 6. Then at no. 9 is Revolver and Rubber Soul just edges in at no. 10.

The White Album is at no. 21, Help takes no. 29. Interestingly, the Past Masters B-sides and other non-album tracks compilation is at no. 31, muscling out Magical Mystery Tour (33), A Hard Day's Night (37) and Please Please Me (38).

The Stereo Box Set, which includes all 13 studio albums, plus the two-disc Past Masters collection, is at no. 24. Not too bad for a set costing £160!
Perry

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Bit of a belated update, but last Sunday's UK charts saw The Beatles' activity in the Top 10 cease. Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band remains their highest selling album of the week, but drops to no. 13, with Abbey Road just behind at no. 14. Revolver and Rubber Soul claim nos. 17 and 19 respectively, with The White Album taking no. 32 and Help edging into the Top 40 at no. 39.
Perry

Postby Tex » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:40 pm

"Paint It Black" and "Gimme Shelter" are among my favorite songs by anyone, but I could cut my I-Tunes list of Stones songs down to a top ten and delete the rest and be perfectly content with my new abriged Stones collection. Not so with The Beatles. The best of The Stones rivals the best of anyone, but the average of the Stones ain't even close to the average of The Beatles, imo.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Tex wrote:"Paint It Black" and "Gimme Shelter" are among my favorite songs by anyone, but I could cut my I-Tunes list of Stones songs down to a top ten and delete the rest and be perfectly content with my new abriged Stones collection. Not so with The Beatles. The best of The Stones rivals the best of anyone, but the average of the Stones ain't even close to the average of The Beatles, imo.

I agree. Out of interest, what version of I Wanna Be Your Man do you prefer?

I think it's interesting that they seem to be seen as polar opposites in 1960s music when in general they had a good relationship, aside from The Beatles giving The Rolling Stones the song I Wanna Be Your Man, which would go on to be the Stones' breakthrough hit, John Lennon produced Mick Jagger's solo track Too Many Cooks (Spoil The Soup), Jagger performed backing vocals on All You Need Is Love, and Brian Jones played saxophone on You Know My Name (Look Up The Number), and you mustn't forget the one-off supergroup The Dirty Mac made for The Stones' 1968 Rock & Roll Circus, which featured Lennon, Keith Richards, Mitch Mitchell and Eric Clapton! It was also preceded by a rather interesting Jagger-Lennon skit.

Also, in this weeks UK charts, just three albums by The Beatles now remain in the Top 40. Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is still the highest seller, down to no. 31, while Abbey Road takes no. 33 and just clawing in at no. 40 is Revolver.
Perry

Postby alan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Beatle fans rejoice--the remasters are spectacular! Best on a system with some decent bass. And true fanatics will want the first two in mono.
alan

Postby puthujjana » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:08 pm

On December 2nd Sir Paul McCartney commences his "Good Evening Europe"-Tour in Hamburg, the city where the Fab Four started to become famous about 49 years ago:

"This is my chance to bring our current show home to where it all began. Starting in Hamburg, ending in London and rocking everywhere in between."

...and...

I have a ticket for the show :jumping:
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
puthujjana

Postby Laurens » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:22 pm

I am rather attached to the Beatles :lol:

I bought the Beatles songbook for the guitar recently, and I can safely say that it is one of the best things I ever bought (excluding Dhamma books - haha I had to be careful to say that!) I learnt a lot about songwritting from it.

I would reccomend it - its cheaper than that Beatles rockband game anyway!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby Justsit » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Saw the Beatles live at the Convention Center in Atlantic City, NJ, in August 1964. I was 11 years old, and my father, bless him, took me, his ears plugged with cotton. After the first chord, you couldn't hear a thing for all the screaming.
It was wonderful.
Justsit

Next

Return to Lounge