The Beatles

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: The Beatles

Postby Laurens » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:10 pm

I just learnt Her Majesty on the guitar, its surprisingly hard to play for such a short song!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby Perry » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:06 pm

Justsit wrote:Saw the Beatles live at the Convention Center in Atlantic City, NJ, in August 1964. I was 11 years old, and my father, bless him, took me, his ears plugged with cotton. After the first chord, you couldn't hear a thing for all the screaming.
It was wonderful.

Wow! I bet that was special!

Were I there, I'd probably have spent the entire gig being annoyed by McCartney, though! I found him way too smug in the early days, I feel he enjoyed the fame too much! Thankfully he managed to calm down by the time Rubber Soul came along and I love him now haha!

Laurens wrote:I just learnt Her Majesty on the guitar, its surprisingly hard to play for such a short song!

Haha it is indeed, a lot of their stuff can be quite deceiving too. My brother learnt Rain recently, then just gave up, realising how little the guitar has to do compared to McCartney's brilliant bassline.
Perry

Postby Laurens » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Perry wrote:Haha it is indeed, a lot of their stuff can be quite deceiving too. My brother learnt Rain recently, then just gave up, realising how little the guitar has to do compared to McCartney's brilliant bassline.

Here's a little snippet that I recorded of the first segment of A Day In The Life. It took me hours to get my fingers around that bassline!

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby Justsit » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Well, they were so cute, and cocky, we all just fell in love. It's so hard to imagine, for those who weren't there,
just how revolutionary they were. Something completely new and different and exciting and original. After the regimentation of the '50's, their "we don't care what you think and don't give a f*** " attitudes were a breath of fresh air. They gave us hope that there was some kind of freedom.

Back then, everyone had a favorite Beatle. The Paul groupies fell for the eyes.
I was a George fan. Quiet, enigmatic, no drama.
Justsit

Postby JeffR » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:15 pm

retrofuturist wrote:

4. Let It Be (despite the Mother Mary bit, there's some nice "words of wisdom" in this)

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)

A bit of trivia: Without Mother Mary, the song wouldn't exist. "Let It Be" were the last words that Paul's dieing mother, Mary, spoke to him. The song is a tribute to his mother's deathbed wisdom.

-Jeff :anjali:
JeffR

Postby Perry » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Today is 8th December, the 29th anniversary of the senseless murder of John Lennon.

Not much that can be said that hasn't already been said one-thousand times before about Lennon, but I will have a bit of a Beatles/Lennon marathon of music today!

Nowhere Boy, a biopic about Lennon's teenage life, is due out on Boxing Day in the UK.
Perry

Previous

Return to Lounge