Quality of life 2009

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Quality of life 2009

Post by DNS »

An organization came out with a study, listing the best places based on quality of life looking at such things as cost of living, arts, economy, environment, freedom, etc. Here is the complete list:

http://www.il-ireland.com/il/qofl2009/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

France came out #1 with the U.S. in 3rd place and Australia in 5th place. The U.S. probably would have been #1 were it not for our poor health care and expensive cost of health care. (See also the thread "Number 37")

India and Sri Lanka ranked pretty low and appears to have done so because of the poverty. I notice Sri Lanka was only given a '50' for "freedom" which must apparently be from the perceived lack of freedom for Tamils?
Tex

Re: Quality of life 2009

Post by Tex »

Wow, how does the U.S. get a perfect score for infrastructure? All we've been hearing is how more than half the bridges in the country need to be replaced and every major city has terrible traffic problems.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

This research doesn't seem relevant.

For example, quality of life in Moldova, Israel and Namibia is told to be the same. Or life in Mongolia in said to be of the same quality with Belarus (I've been to both countries, and Mongolia is much, much poorer in everything). And can you imagine people in rich and politically stable United Arab Emirates enjoying the same quality of life as in Congo, Rwanda and Burkina Faso?
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello TheDhamma,

These figures are from a Real Estate Company. Very suspect, wouldn't you say?

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Fede

Post by Fede »

France came out first?
You're kidding me....

Having lived there for 6 years, and in Italy, and the UK......

I'd disagree with that.
Strongly.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chris wrote: These figures are from a Real Estate Company. Very suspect, wouldn't you say?
Hmmm, good point. Maybe most of their listings are in France? :tongue:

But they do list how they came up with their numbers here:
http://www.internationalliving.com/Inte ... s/qofl2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and it appears they relied on third-party valid resources, at first glance.
kidd

Post by kidd »

Creating a personal list of this type, using your own criteria, can be illuminating.

:stirthepot: