YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

correct me, please - Dhamma Wheel

correct me, please

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
genkaku

correct me, please

Postby genkaku » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:52 pm

I have had the experience elsewhere of being being told in various ways that I was mistaken for offering my point of view where it was not wanted. I don't want to upset anyone's apple cart, so I am asking for guidance.

For example, I know little or nothing about the Theravada approach to Buddhism. This doesn't mean I am unwilling to accept or respect it, it just means I don't know much. Nevertheless, when I see a topic in a Theravada discussion that excites my interest, naturally I would like to dip my oar in the waters. But my interest is in human beings and when I see a topic that touches human beings, whether they are stock brokers or Theravada Buddhists -- then I try to respond from a human-being point of view. It strikes me as relevant, but I can imagine that others might not feel the same.

As I say, I don't want to stick my nose in where it's not wanted. I don't want to interrupt anyone's smooth flow of discussion. So how shall I approach this in order to preserve the harmony of Dhamma Wheel? Is there some yardstick I can apply that will help me see that it would be better not to comment ... or to understand that a comment is OK.

I'm not pulling a watch-me-be-so-humble schtick here. I really would appreciate some direction.

Thanks.
Smile just one smile

appicchato

Re: correct me, please

Postby appicchato » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:21 pm

No need for correction G, you'll do fine with your 'humanist' angle...

Especially now that there's puking smilies with guns to contend with...

(Continue to) Be well friend...

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:10 pm

Well feel free to stick your oar in any of my posts another angle is welcome from me at least I can't speak for others obviously, but I like different perspectives.
but if it is correcting you want? how about you use far to many z's in your posts :rofl: :goodpost:

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

thecap

Postby thecap » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Fede

Postby Fede » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Genkaku, never, for goodness' sake, in the name of all that is sacred, never, ever stop posting.

You are never not wanted, your posts are always illuminating, interesting and a worthwhile read. OK?

Topics go off-topic. I seem to remember starting several topics myself, and seeing them blither on regardless, in every direction, like a sailboat with no-one at the tiller.
I dun the same meself. taken a subject so far off-topic, that I've had to check the OP and say to myself:
"Ooooh! What did the Buddha say about Anger?! Right! No wonder I'm talking about my new bedroom slippers!" :rolleye:

I am the Mistress of the Meander!

I would actually request that Moderators not be too harsh on the odd occasional OT post. A gentle nudge and reminder is kinder than personal censure and infractions. And besides, in discussion, round a table, or in a lounge with friends, topics meander and drift.... that's what discussion entails sometimes.... broadening the talk to cover all the bases.

Keep going Genkaku.
If you will, I will.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi Genkaku,

I'm just writing to let you know that I composed a reply to your query, but I didn't want to post it publicly until I'd run it by the other moderators to ensure we're of one mind on this. Ben and Retro are both in Oz, so it might be a few hours till they wake up, and David's in Las Vegas, so he might be awake, but in any case he's not online at the moment.

In the meantime please just keep posting. There's no need to walk on eggshells.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Individual

Postby Individual » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:10 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

piper

Postby piper » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi Genkaku,

Just be yourself, there's nothing to ruin... uh, I mean there's nothing to correct.

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:25 pm

genkaku,

Your question is a little vague so forgive me if my answer is not relevant.

If someone posts a question in a Theravada forum it is likely because they want an answer grounded in the Theravada teachings. If you don't know if you're answer is grounded in those teachings then you might a] not answer or perhaps b] answer and be ready to be told your answer conflicts with the teachings.

If someone posts a question in a General forum (or Personal Experience or Coffee Lounge type place) then they likely are open to answers from a broader spectrum of teachings.

Theravada tends to be very particular about tying everything back to the scriptures. Personal answers or anecdotes or similar type responses are fine as long as they can clearly be linked back to scripture. I know this can seem odd to a Zen practitioner, but if you are sincere about not "upsetting apple carts" then it is worthwhile to keep in mind.

I hope this is helpful.
- Peter

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:58 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:59 pm

thats what i was gonna say,
ajahn chah, buddhadasa, brahm and some others all have that "read your heart not the book" attitude which should be very familar to the world of zen youre used to genkaku :yingyang:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

genkaku

Postby genkaku » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Smile just one smile

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

genkaku

Postby genkaku » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Smile just one smile

Fede

Postby Fede » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:15 pm

I think we should all be mindful of keeping our butts positioned in such a way as to permit those who can, to give us all a swift kick....now and then.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

Element

Postby Element » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Return to “Lounge”