125 U.S. Buddhist leaders to meet at the White House

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
ieee23

Re: 125 U.S. Buddhist leaders to meet at the White House

Post by ieee23 »

I never believed it when I was younger, but in the last couple of years I think it is a truth and not a lament out of frustration -- which is what I used to think. I think in general people are scared of change. Ironically, even Theravada Buddhists whose religion rests on a core of coming to peace with the fact of impermanence.

My intuition is that the blowback against Bhikkhu Bodhi is partly a resistance to change ( an attachment to the way things are ) in general.

I think the other part of it is that many people into Theravada find the idea of ordaining as a monk, leaving the world behind, having that action endorsed and supported, appealing. Bhikkhu Bodhi, one of the people who introduced the dhamma to them no less, opening himself up to the world threatens that dream.

I don't think it does. There are Mahayana monks going off to caves, spending hours a day in meditation.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bhikkhu Bodhi's talk at the Whitehouse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b7FViHm1xdU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Looking at my previous posts, now I think that I should not have been so critical about Bikkhu Bodhi.
He is entitle to do what ever he wants to do in his life.
He has done a great contribution to Buddhism.
My frustration was not more than when my favourite football player was (kicking) missing the goal post.
He is still my hero!
:embarassed:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”