Chiang Mai

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Chiang Mai

Postby pink_trike » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:18 am

I'm planning on moving to Chiang Mai in the spring. Is anyone familiar with the teaching/practice centers there? I know there are several large very busy centers there that serve foreign travelers who want to do a 10 day retreat, but ideally I'd like to find a small center offering ongoing teachings of some depth and that has an English-speaking teacher. Your recommendations would be appreciated.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Re: Chiang Mai

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:23 am

Hi Mr Pink
In case this thread gets buried before our monastics get an opportunity to read your post, you might want to send Ven. Appichatto and Ajahn Dhammanando a pm. They may have some very good recommendations.
metta

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby pink_trike » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:13 am

Ben wrote:Hi Mr Pink
In case this thread gets buried before our monastics get an opportunity to read your post, you might want to send Ven. Appichatto and Ajahn Dhammanando a pm. They may have some very good recommendations.
metta

Ben

Good idea. Thanks, Ben.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby gavesako » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:10 am

The most resources about Thailand you will find at www.retreat-infos.de
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Postby Lampang » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:43 am

I can't offer any advice on centres but you should be aware that the spring (March, and especially April and May) is about the worst time to visit Thailand. If you're not bothered by the heat, no problem but in late April it gets up to 40. It's not humid - which is good - but it's very dusty and it can get quite smokey, which can trouble some people.
Lampang

Postby pink_trike » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Lampang wrote:I can't offer any advice on centres but you should be aware that the spring (March, and especially April and May) is about the worst time to visit Thailand. If you're not bothered by the heat, no problem but in late April it gets up to 40. It's not humid - which is good - but it's very dusty and it can get quite smokey, which can trouble some people.

I'm used to heat. Where I live now it commonly reaches 46 C / 115 F with dust storms in the Summer. I'll just stay inside like I do here. :smile:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:20 pm

gavesako wrote:The most resources about Thailand you will find at http://www.retreat-infos.de

Thanks for the info. :smile:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Return to Lounge