Busting the hydration myths

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Busting the hydration myths

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:40 am

Greetings,

Some quality research here on the highly controversial subject of hydration!

MYTH: Coffee/caffeine is a diuretic, dehydrating rather than rehydrating you Coffee contains caffeine, which has a weak diuretic (water-losing) effect if you normally avoid caffeine. If you regularly consume coffee, tea, chocolate or energy drinks (such as Red Bull), your liver learns to process caffeine quickly, neutralising this effect. Research shows the key factor influencing the diuretic effect of coffee is not related to its caffeine content but to the size of the drink.

MYTH: We should all drink two litres of water a day Research in the Forties found adult men needed two litres of fluid a day to stay hydrated. But this includes water content of food, which is more significant than you may imagine. Even toasted bread is a quarter water. The amount of fluid needed depends on activity and body size. If you are hydrated, you will produce a decent amount of urine, the colour of light straw, two to three times a day. Any excess just passes out. You don't get extra benefit from drinking more than you need.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... d-you.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Busting the hydration myths

Postby poto » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:28 am

Interesting...

I drink a large amount of black tea every day, mostly in the morning to afternoon. I have noticed that I get dehydrated quickly if I do intensive exercise and don't have any other fluids to drink. If I'm just doing some morning yoga it's not much of a problem, but if I hit the weights or do some martial arts I tend to sweat a lot. If I start drinking water while I'm exercising, I won't have any problems, but it's still something that concerns me and I try to watch out for.

I have heard about the water requirement thing being less than whatever it used to be before though. I usually drink about a gallon of fluids a day, so I figure I'm good either way.

btw, if you're urine stream is clear or nearly clear you're fully hydrated, or at least that's what they used to tell us in the military. I still remember the charts with pee colors on the walls in the bathrooms. If I remember correctly it looked somewhat similar to this:
Image Image

Maybe they just figured that the color of light straw was too complicated for us stupid grunts to understand. :guns:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby pink_trike » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:39 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

MYTH: Coffee/caffeine is a diuretic, dehydrating rather than rehydrating you Coffee contains caffeine, which has a weak diuretic (water-losing) effect if you normally avoid caffeine. If you regularly consume coffee, tea, chocolate or energy drinks (such as Red Bull), your liver learns to process caffeine quickly, neutralising this effect. Research shows the key factor influencing the diuretic effect of coffee is not related to its caffeine content but to the size of the drink.

MYTH: We should all drink two litres of water a day Research in the Forties found adult men needed two litres of fluid a day to stay hydrated. But this includes water content of food, which is more significant than you may imagine. Even toasted bread is a quarter water. The amount of fluid needed depends on activity and body size. If you are hydrated, you will produce a decent amount of urine, the colour of light straw, two to three times a day. Any excess just passes out. You don't get extra benefit from drinking more than you need.

Metta,

This is typical Western medicine perspective which really means that their tools of measurement can't quantify these things and has nothing to do with whether they are true are not. Eastern medicine would disagree with much of this...and roll on the floor laughing while doing it. :jumping:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby I, Mudd » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:57 am

poto wrote: . . .if you're urine stream is clear or nearly clear you're fully hydrated, or at least that's what they used to tell us in the military. I still remember the charts with pee colors on the walls in the bathrooms.

I remember that too! That was one of the first things they taught us in boot camp. The other hydration lesson was being forced to drink three full canteens of water right in a row. It didn't work out very well to say the least.
I, Mudd

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Metta,

I knew this a bit before. But I do think there are benefits to drinking pure water. For a while, I had a habit of drinking water and only water, and I noticed that my teeth started to get very white. Water that's nearly pure is something that doesn't need to be broken down as much, so it's better for your digestive health than juice, soda, etc., which has unnecessary added sugar and salt.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:48 am

Individual wrote: I do think there are benefits to drinking pure water.

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Yes, Jack?
General Jack D. Ripper: Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Well, I can't say I have.
General Jack D. Ripper: Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.
General Jack D. Ripper: On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Oh, eh, yes. I, hmm, can't quite see what you're getting at, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that seventy percent of you is water?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, uh, Good Lord!
General Jack D. Ripper: And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
Attachments
dr_strangelove[1].jpg
dr_strangelove[1].jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:38 am

That was a great movie. :rofl:

While we're on the subject, btw, did you know that a lot of bottled water companies are supplied by municipal water supplies (tap water)? :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby Mawkish1983 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Individual wrote:I do think there are benefits to drinking pure water.

From wikipedia, referenced: Journal of General Internal Medicine 16 (3): 168–175 (Emphasis mine) wrote:The drinking of distilled water has been both advocated and discouraged for health reasons. The lack of naturally-occurring minerals in distilled water has raised some concerns. The Journal of General Internal Medicine published a study on the mineral contents of different waters available in the US. The study concluded
Drinking water sources available to North Americans may contain high levels of Ca2+, Mg2+, and Na+ and may provide clinically important portions of the recommended dietary intake of these minerals. Physicians should encourage patients to check the mineral content of their drinking water, whether tap or bottled, and choose water most appropriate for their needs.

Since distilled water is devoid of minerals, supplemental mineral intake through diet or dietary supplements are needed to maintain proper health.

It is often observed that consumption of "hard" water, or water that has some minerals, is associated with beneficial cardiovascular effects. As noted in the American Journal of Epidemiology, consumption of hard drinking water is negatively correlated with atherosclerotic heart disease. Since distilled water is free of minerals, it will not have these potential benefits.

It has been suggested that—because distilled water lacks fluoride ions that are added by many governments (e.g. municipalities in the United States) at water treatment plants using fluoridation for its inhibition of cavity formation—the drinking of distilled water may increase the risk of tooth decay due to a lack of this element. Of course fluoride can still be applied to the teeth alone with toothpaste and fluoride treatments, without swallowing significant amounts.

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water#Criticism)

Just sayin'.
Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Mawkish1983

Postby Thales » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:02 pm

poto wrote:
btw, if you're urine stream is clear or nearly clear you're fully hydrated, or at least that's what they used to tell us in the military. I still remember the charts with pee colors on the walls in the bathrooms. If I remember correctly it looked somewhat similar to this:
Image Image

Just to add something about this chart...if your vitamin supplement changes the color of your urine, you're pissing your money away :broke:
"Just as the ocean has a single taste, the taste of salt, so this Dhamma and Discipline has a single taste, the taste of release."

~Ud 5.5
Thales

Postby PeterB » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:14 pm

Number 8 would be a bit worrying. :smile: I would assume someone had been drinking wood preserver.
PeterB

Return to Lounge