Hulu to start charging for content.

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Hulu to start charging for content.

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:47 am

Under pressure from the media companies.

Article here:
http://hothardware.com/News/Is-Hulu-Cha ... -Strategy/

And here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354672,00.asp

This doesn't bother me much, though, because it seems likely that once Hulu starts charging people, they'll go under and another site will crop up, probably done by pirates.

Like Blinkx:
http://www.blinkx.com/

It's really funny. Apple files a patent to put ads into their OS, the Xbox 360 already has ads in it... And Hulu is going to charge for content... So... Companies that sell products and services want to include ads, and companies that make money from ads want to start charging additional fees!

The preponderance of greed is so annoying. Hopefully, consumers won't stand for it. It'd be really screwed up, for instance, to have to pay $200+ for Windows 7, and then have ads in the OS, on top of that! Built-in adware! What nonsense.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Re: Hulu to start charging for content.

Postby poto » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:10 am

Individual wrote:This doesn't bother me much, though, because it seems likely that once Hulu starts charging people, they'll go under and another site will crop up, probably done by pirates.

I don't think this will tank them as there are already many many pirate sites, torrents, rapidshare, etc., chugging along out there. Not to mention the fact that not everyone is comfortable downloading pirate media. Also, there are a lot of people who make more than enough money to afford some small fees and would just prefer to pay a small amount rather than waste time digging through torrents and whatnot.

From the second article you posted:
Carey said that the pay wall could be limited to special or advance programming, but that Hulu in general "needs to evolve to have a meaningful subscription model as part of its business."

Sounds to me like they still plan on having a lot of free programming available. A certain percentage of people will always be willing to pay for a premium service. If Hulu wants to start offering a top tier service with additional features available to users who are willing to pay for it, I don't really see the problem there.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby pink_trike » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:21 am

Individual wrote:
Like Blinkx:

"Over 35 million hours of video."

:rofl:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:33 am

pink_trike wrote:
Individual wrote:
Like Blinkx:

It's probably true, except they don't host it. They link to a lot of other sites out there, like the Chinese website, Tudou.com, which host lots of copyrighted content without permission. I just wish Tudou had an "English" option, but they probably won't because they're afraid of the retaliation... They'd put Youtube out of business... Even the Chinese government might be troubled by it from the criticism they'd receive.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby pink_trike » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:37 am

Individual wrote:
pink_trike wrote:
Individual wrote:
Like Blinkx:

It's probably true, except they don't host it.

Oh, I'm not doubting it. I guess you have to be my age to appreciate the surreal element in this.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 am

pink_trike wrote:Oh, I'm not doubting it. I guess you have to be my age to appreciate the surreal element in this.

I think in about 5-10 years, the latest iPod will be able to hold virtually every digitally recorded song in recent history... Something like several million songs.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby pink_trike » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:48 am

Individual wrote:
pink_trike wrote:Oh, I'm not doubting it. I guess you have to be my age to appreciate the surreal element in this.

I think in about 5-10 years, the latest iPod will be able to hold virtually every digitally recorded song in recent history... Something like several million songs.

And then the boundaries between entertainment and reality that are badly blurred now will be completely erased. :rolleye:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:13 am

pink_trike wrote:
Individual wrote:

And then the boundaries between entertainment and reality that are badly blurred now will be completely erased. :rolleye:

I look forward to it, with great anticipation!!

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Return to Lounge