Chemical in us that attracts mosquitos IDENTIFIED!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Chemical in us that attracts mosquitos IDENTIFIED!

Postby BlackBird » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:59 am

Well it's not a cure for maleria, but it's a good start.
Scientists have identified the chemical (produced in humans) that attracts the Culex mosquito to human beings and birds. Here's a snip:

Scientists at the Univ. of California, Davis, have identified the dominant odor naturally produced in humans and birds that attracts the blood-feeding Culex mosquitoes, which transmit West Nile virus and other life-threatening diseases.

The groundbreaking research, published this week in the early online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, explains why mosquitoes shifted hosts from birds to humans and paves the way for key developments in mosquito and disease control.

And the link: http://www.rdmag.com/News/2009/10/Gener ... iV1KLy8orb

Without getting ahead of ourselves, it's good news for our friends in the tropics. :)

Hope you all had a good day today

:anjali:

Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Re: Chemical in us that attracts mosquitos IDENTIFIED!

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 am

I think that this chemical must be produced by some people more than others, my husband and myself have frequently stayed in places where I have woken covered in bites while he has none... :thinking:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Return to Lounge