Movember - raising funds for men's health

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Movember - raising funds for men's health

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:27 am

Greetings everyone

As some of you may know, in the past I have participated in fundraising events for medical research. Some of my past efforts have been in the "Murray to Moyne 520km in 24hr bicycle relay" for a number of years where I assisted to raise awareness of and raise funds for Geriatric Psychiatry, the Victorian State Hyberbaric Medicine Unit and raise money for the Alfred/Monash Psychiatric Research Unit. A motivating factor for my participation in fundraising for medical charities is that service to others is an important factor in my practice.

I am participating in "Movember" this year in a bid to assist with raising money for men's health issues. In Australia, the fundraising focus will be the Prostate Cancer Council and 'Beyond Blue', the Australian Government anti-depression initiative. As Movember is now an international fundraising event, there may be a slightly different focus for participating countries.
Information on Movember (International website): http://www.movember.com/ (Australian website): http://au.movember.com/
Australian donation page: http://au.movember.com/donate/

And if you would like to sponsor me:
https://www.movember.com/au/donate/your ... _id/28815/

Movember is an annual, month-long celebration of the moustache, highlighting men’s health issues, specifically prostate cancer and depression in men.

Mo Bros, supported by their Mo Sistas, start Movember (November 1st) clean shaven and then have the remainder of the month to grow and groom their moustache. During Movember, each Mo Bro effectively becomes a walking billboard for men’s health and, via their Mo, raises essential funds and awareness for Movember’s men’s health partners – The Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and beyondblue – the national depression initiative. At the end of Movember, a series of Gala Partés are held to thank Mo Bros and Sistas for their support and fund raising efforts.

The idea for Movember came about in 2003 when a few mates were having a beer in a small bar in Fitzroy, Melbourne. Inspired by the women’s health movement, it was recognized that men were lacking a way to engage and actively involve themselves in their own health. During a conversation about fashion and past trends, the idea came up to bring the moustache back for one month, and in doing so, have some fun, raise a small amount of money and hopefully encourage men to talk about their health with each other.

Since this time, Movember has continued to grow each year, both in terms of participation numbers and funds raised. In its first year, 30 Mo Bros took part in Movember and last year, in Australia alone, 125,000 Mo Bro & Sistas got on board, raising more than $8million for each of Movember’s men’s health partners.

Today, in its sixth consecutive year, Movember takes place around the world. Motivated by what was happening in Australia, a further five countries now embrace the Mo each November - New Zealand, US, Canada, UK and Ireland are all helping Movember to achieve its ultimate goal – to change the face of men’s health globally.

To date, Movember has raised AUS$60 million globally for the fight against prostate cancer and depression in men. And, more importantly, as a direct result, male awareness of health issues has improved with Movember helping to spread health messages directly to millions of Mo Bros & Sistas around the world.

Going forward, Movember will continue to work towards helping to change established habits and attitudes and make men aware of the risks they face, thereby increasing early detection, diagnosis and effective treatment.

For further information, visit The Movember Foundation.

please feel free to either sponsor me or donate directly to the Australian (or your host country's) movember efforts - if you have the volition to do so.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Movember - raising funds for men's health

Postby cooran » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Hey Ben!

Only just saw this.

Many thanks and much admiration to you for making the effort to raise funds for men's health!

I've donated and want to see pictures as you get ""More Hairy" !!

:group:

metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks Chris
First, you'll need to see the photo of me less hairy. A clean-shaven Ben is a scary sight. My wife won't go near me, she says, until I've regrown my facial hair!
I'll update my page at the movember site as soon as I get a photo goatee-less!
Thanks for the donation!
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 am

I would like to say thanks to another Dhamma Wheel member who has sponsored me for AUD$50! The person said to me via email that they felt acknowledgement was not necessary, so I'll keep your contribution anonymous. You know who you are, and I know who you are and I can't tell you how much your support means!
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:33 pm

Update:

To date I've raised $155, including most recently a $20 online donation overnight and various cash donations at my place of employment!
It's all good!
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:45 am

Thank you Khalil Bodhi for your generous and meritorious support.
I am particularly touched by the generosity of those members of Dhamma Wheel who I may have only met me a few times in the flesh - if at all. It is very humbling.
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 pm

In gratitude to Blackbird for his generous sponsorship during the Movember appeal.
Funds raised to date: $180 which includes $125 by online donation and $55 cash
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:33 pm

But what about the 'hairy' pictures????

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Haha!
Yes, indeed! Sorry Chris & all, I've been so busy lately with work and organising a weekend getaway for our board members that I have been virtually run off my feet.
I'll see if I can get our photographer to organise a photo today.
Cheers

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:28 am

Proof:
Six days since shaving off my goatee and under the shadow of a mo (you'll need your reading glasses!)
Attachments
rsz_mo_ben_002a.jpg
rsz_mo_ben_002a.jpg (15.14 KiB) Viewed 417 times

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:31 am

May the mo' grow
May it not grow slow

Metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:56 am

Thank you Jack!

Update:
Thanks to the generosity from colleagues at work, the amount I have raised via sponsorship has crept to $210.
I am also considering a suggestion by Zavk to apply eucalyptus oil to the hair folicles under the nostrils and around my chin - though I am sure it will just make my eyes water!
kind regards

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby pink_trike » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:12 am

Ah, now I understand the Fu Manchu.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:30 am

pink_trike wrote:Ah, now I understand the Fu Manchu.

Ha! At least you didn't call me 'Chopper' (aka Chopper Read):
http://www.chopperread.com/title.htm
kind regards

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:36 am

Hey Pink,
Thanks for your generous donation and supporting the Movember appeal!
I am humbled actually by your generosity Pink and the the continuing financial support of my friends here on Dhammawheel, some of whom, as I have said earlier, have never met me in the flesh.
Any merits that I accrue as a result of this fundraising effort, I dedicate to you all.
with Metta

Ben

Total to date: $235

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby zavk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:43 am

Ben wrote:
pink_trike wrote:Ah, now I understand the Fu Manchu.

Ha! At least you didn't call me 'Chopper' (aka Chopper Read):
http://www.chopperread.com/title.htm
kind regards

Ben

:tongue: That would be me.

But hey, don't forget that Eric Bana has assumed that character! And in my book, he is pretty cool!
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby pink_trike » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:18 am

Ben wrote:I am also considering a suggestion by Zavk to apply eucalyptus oil to the hair folicles under the nostrils and around my chin - though I am sure it will just make my eyes water!

I've heard that chili peppers are better... :stirthepot:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:59 am

zavk wrote:But hey, don't forget that Eric Bana has assumed that character! And in my book, he is pretty cool!

I agree, Ed. Very cool!

Mr Pink wrote:I've heard that chili peppers are better...

Now you're talking Mr Pink! I made the most amazing curry on the weekend woth fresh tumeric and chillis! It was so fragrant, and creamy, sweet, sour and hot.
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:18 am

Update:

Thanks to the generosity of my colleagues:

Online donations: $170
Offline donations: $125

Total to date: $295

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:13 am

Update:

Half-way through the month of Movember I have raised a total of $325
(Online donations: $200; Offline donations: $125)

The most recent donations coming from some family members.
kind regards

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Next

Return to Lounge