Paranormal Activity

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Paranormal Activity

Postby adamposey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:31 pm

Title says it all. Have you seen this film? If so, what did you think? I was absolutely terrified.
adamposey

Re: Paranormal Activity

Postby Annapurna » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:36 pm

Adam, I laughed myself all the way through Blair witch project, much to the frustration of a friend who wanted to watch it with me.

Horror movies...I always say : if they scare ya, don't watch them.

No matter what your friends say. Luckily, I don't have to watch any anymore.

:zzz:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby pink_trike » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:25 pm

adamposey wrote:Title says it all. Have you seen this film? If so, what did you think? I was absolutely terrified.

Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby notself » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:12 am

pink_trike wrote:Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?

Horror movies are aimed a teenagers and reflect the tension and stress of coming of age. They are fun and encourage hugging. :tongue:
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
notself

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 am

pink_trike wrote:Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?

I think it can be quite strong. I tend to automatically notice what my mind state is like when I'm watching a movie or a TV program, and I can see it get rather stirred up if things get violent...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:47 am

mikenz66 wrote:

I think it can be quite strong. I tend to automatically notice what my mind state is like when I'm watching a movie or a TV program, and I can see it get rather stirred up if things get violent...

Mike

I'm glad I'm not the only Dhamma-nerd!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby adamposey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:05 am

pink_trike wrote:
adamposey wrote:Title says it all. Have you seen this film? If so, what did you think? I was absolutely terrified.

Have you considered the long-term effects of the "terrified" mind state on body and mind? Or the effects that these "terror" movies have on the collective mind and society? Or what they are a reflection of? And what they are exploiting?

Well, I really wasn't hoping to relate it back to the dhamma in anyway it just seemed like a fun thing to talk about in the lounge. :)

In any case, the movie makes you afraid for the characters, more than anything else.. so it could be worse.
adamposey

Postby pink_trike » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:12 am

Beware of the Dhamma-Zombies. They may even be in the lounge... :jawdrop:
Attachments
ZombieWalk_468x604.jpg
ZombieWalk_468x604.jpg (81.19 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:53 am

Hi Pink
pink_trike wrote:Beware of the Dhamma-Zombies. They may even be in the lounge... :jawdrop:

Hmm....
I have noticed though I was being polite by not saying anything.
Anyway, I;m not particularly worried about the Dhamma-zombies in the lounge.
I'm used to facing my own demons. Soon I go to commune with them once again on a ten-day silent retreat of vipassana.
It's not for the faint of heart.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Dugu » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:01 am

I used to love horror films, but for some unknown reasons I don't enjoy them anymore.. :shrug:
Dugu

Postby Mawkish1983 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:16 am

Dugu wrote:I used to love horror films

I have always found them terribly dull and I never 'got' them. I suppose it's because to feel scared by something you have to subconsciously believe it's real... and I've always struggled with accepting this existance as real, not to mention a 2D world of even poorer acting and thinner plots.

Now sci-fi, that's my 'bag' (and I don't know why but it's awesome)
Mawkish1983

Postby Dugu » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:21 am

Mawkish1983 wrote:

I have always found them terribly dull and I never 'got' them. I suppose it's because to feel scared by something you have to subconsciously believe it's real... and I've always struggled with accepting this existance as real, not to mention a 2D world of even poorer acting and thinner plots.

I am not surprised you like sci-fi :lol: My cup of tea is actually fantasy - set in ancient times with a sword wielding hero. :D I am also fond of hit-man movies (yea terrible me).
Dugu

Postby BlackBird » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:24 am

I saw The Ring when I was 16 or so and it scared the pants off me for weeks. I would unplug the TV at night just to be sure.

Horror films = Lot's of Dukkha (for me anyway)
The word 'horror' says it all doesn't it?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby pink_trike » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:00 am

Who needs horror or tragedy films? CNN.com isn't enough to break the heart and chill the bones?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Postby Annapurna » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:15 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:

Exactly.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:31 pm

pink_trike wrote:Who needs horror or tragedy films? CNN.com isn't enough to break the heart and chill the bones?

:bow:
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby LauraJ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Blair Witch Project and The Ring scared the bejeezus out of me :jawdrop:
I get really sucked into scary movies, no problem with 'suspension of reality' here to watch a movie!
Even though it was rated PG-13, I thought "White Noise" was scary too.
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
LauraJ

Postby adamposey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:14 pm

pink_trike wrote:Who needs horror or tragedy films? CNN.com isn't enough to break the heart and chill the bones?

No, but FOX news is just scary enough to make you want to stock up on artillery, water, and your own personal oil drill.
adamposey

Postby adamposey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 pm

LauraJ wrote:Blair Witch Project and The Ring scared the bejeezus out of me :jawdrop:
I get really sucked into scary movies, no problem with 'suspension of reality' here to watch a movie!
Even though it was rated PG-13, I thought "White Noise" was scary too.

I have never seen the blair witch project. What made this movie SO freakin' scary though was that the characters were so, absolutely, convincing, and the stuff that happened to them was just small enough in the beginning to be believable.

It went from highly "typical" ghost experiences like tapping sounds, or moving (not slamming) doors, etc., all the way up to.. well, let's just say it gets less typical.

The characters, for their part, did SO well. They really played it off like they were really dating, and the whole thing had the amateurish feeling of a home movie.
adamposey

Return to Lounge