What was your first experience with a Wat/Temple like?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

What was your first experience with a Wat/Temple like?

Postby Dugu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:32 am

I have been wanting to go visit a Wat. But I don't know what to expect. The one that is nearest to me looks like a house, not as fancy as some people's nice temples. I thought about visiting it soon just to see what it is like. I have been studying the Suttas on my own and wanted to seek a wise teacher to help me further understand. So to those who have visited Wats, what was your first experience like?
Dugu

Re: What was your first experience with a Wat/Temple like?

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:53 am

I wandered in and the nice ladies gave me some lunch and made me feel at home :popcorn:
And the monks were pretty cool too... :bow:

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Dugu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:04 am

mikenz66 wrote:I wandered in and the nice ladies gave me some lunch and made me feel at home :popcorn:
And the monks were pretty cool too... :bow:

Mike

That sounds really neighborly. :smile:
Dugu

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:08 am

Dugu wrote:That sounds really neighborly. :smile:

Buddhists are like that.

Actually, that's how I became Buddhist. Everyone seemed so happy. Initially I just wanted to practise my Thai... But I ended up chanting refuges and precepts before lunch every Sunday. It was more than six months later that a monk turned up who could speak good enough English to teach meditation...

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Dugu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:12 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Dugu wrote:That sounds really neighborly. :smile:

Buddhists are like that.

Actually, that's how I became Buddhist. Everyone seemed so happy. Initially I just wanted to practise my Thai... But I ended up chanting refuges and precepts before lunch every Sunday. It was more than six months later that a monk turned up who could speak good enough English to teach meditation...

Mike

So the service was done entirely in Thai?
Dugu

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:14 am

The announcements are mostly in Thai. The refuges and precepts are in Pali, but luckily they had some books with the Pali written in roman letters and translation in English.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Dugu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:20 am

mikenz66 wrote:The announcements are mostly in Thai. The refuges and precepts are in Pali, but luckily they had some books with the Pali written in roman letters and translation in English.

Mike

I see.
Dugu

Postby PeterB » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:44 pm

My first Wat experience was a large house in London. It was officially a department of the Thai Embassy. There were a number of Bhikkus including several who spoke very good English. One of these was Chao Khun Dhammasuddhi who later disrobed and became known as the Vipassana teacher Dhiravamsa. Everyone was very welcoming both the monks and lay people, and a few months later my new bride and myself had a marriage blessing ceremony there. We attended Vipassana instruction most sundays for some time. That house was later replaced by a larger house and Temple in London called Wat Buddhapadipa ( as was the old house ) it is situated in Wimbledon where the tennis tournament is played. We were last there two weeks ago. It was my first contact with real flesh and blood Buddhists and it was a heart warming experience.
PeterB

Postby uslic001 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:44 pm

I went to one that is about 20 minutes from my house and is in a double wide mobile home. When I entered the monk was teaching the laypeople with a notebook computer hooked up to a video projector. He was teaching suttas in Thai. After I came in he would alternate the Thai version with an English version which slowed down his teaching but made it worthwhile for me as I do not know any Thai. After he helped me out with some of my meditation problems. Overall it was a good experience.

Bryan
uslic001

Return to Lounge