Why do people want to be rich?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Disciple

Re: Why do people want to be rich?

Post by Disciple »

DC2R wrote: For anyone that might be interested, the four requisites are food, clothing, shelter, and medical care.
Yes that's all you need to live a life of dignity. F the american dream :mrgreen:
http://www.theminimalists.com/dream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

For anyone that might be interested, the four requisites are food, clothing, shelter, and medical care
Maslow's hierarchy of needs may give the complete picture.
It appears the need to study, understand and follow the Dhamma is the highest priority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27 ... y_of_needs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

I think that richness is not necessary for a happy life, at all.

However, seeing the current situation of my family and me (middle-low economical class) and remembering a time when we were actually poor (we couldn't even get enough money to buy food!) and when many years ago we were in a Middle-High class situation (with the oportunity to even travel to Europe more than once), I can tell you that I learned that on this corporative and hyper-capitalist world, money is needed to get some level of happiness.

Granted, is not the spiritual happiness and bliss you get from the Dhamma, but I can tell that having at least some money to live comfortably makes wonders! :tongue:

The heavy stress, desperation and helplessness you feel when you're poor in an urban environment is truly devastating, in my own experience (and it could have been worse! at the least we have a house of our own).

Perhaps pursuing way too much money is really a stupid thing to do, and to waste it on unnecesary luxuries just for vanity and auto-indulgency is even worse.
But I can tell you, that in an urban place, pursuing to gain some money to live with basic comfort, services, enough and varied food (important!) and a nice place to live is almost a must, as it certainly brings you calmness, health and happiness, even to practice the Dhamma better.

As an example, when we were poor and long before I became Buddhist, I can totally confess that I broke the second precept more than once to get some extra food for the family. :(
I remember that both my sister and me had to pick up cheesse secretly and behind our clothes from the local stores to have something extra to eat (besides beans, rice and tortillas). :embarassed:
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Yes I can relate to you.
I have been in a roller coaster of poor and rich (middle class) for many times. (my father was a business man)
When you come to breaking precepts it does not matter whether you are poor or rich.
I feel rich people break the precepts more than poor people.
Poor people are more generous than the rich people. (if you come to Sri Lanka you will experience this yourself)

I am thinking about the poor people in places like Africa and in Sri Lanka.
It is better if they are not poor.
Buddha gave some food to a villager before he preach Dhamma.
Please give to the poor the way you can.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”