Post-Dark Room Retreat Insights, Creating Dharma Audio Books

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Chi

Post-Dark Room Retreat Insights, Creating Dharma Audio Books

Post by Chi »

Hi Dharma Friends!

I'm just fresh out of a 11-day mind-blowing and humbling dark room retreat in southern Mexico.

A couple reminders came to mind:

-Humans need very little to survive (food, shelter, clothing [optional; I spent the entire time naked!], and medicine).
-All beings suffer. Just having a body and having to eat and drink and pee and poop creates so much suffering in the world.
-My parents are just ordinary human beings, and nobodies special. They deserve my greatest respect and service. I owe my life to them.
-Time and space are simply constructs of the mind.
-The idea of somebody doing something is a fundamental delusion.
-Having a teacher's constant guidance and support and encouragement is priceless.
-Nobody becomes enlightened or achieves anything.
-The spiritual path (for me, at least) is letting go of a "spiritual self."
-There's nobody to be angry with, all beings are results of their karmas, and if they could choose more wisely, they would.
-I'm just an ordinary human being.
-I really dislike pain and discomfort.

Of course, all these are just intellectual understandings, considering my practice is still quite self-centered and pleasure-seeking.

During the retreat, there was an idea coming to mind repeatedly, and that is to create audio books of dharma books (starting with A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life and Autobiography of Empty Cloud) that are free on the internet.

Anybody a whiz at recording audio and video for youtube? I'm so out of touch with technology...How do I make something into an mp3 or an mp4? What is the bare equipment I need? What programs should I use to edit if necessary?

Many thanks and may all beings be happy!
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
Mkoll

Re: Post-Dark Room Retreat Insights, Creating Dharma Audio Books

Post by Mkoll »

Sounds interesting, glad it went well. BTW, what exactly is a dark room retreat?

There are plenty of free and low cost file converter programs you can download from the web—just google for what you need and you should find some. Get a decent microphone. Your motherboard's recording hardware may or may not be up to par—if it's not, you'll want to invest in new hardware. That's about as far as my media recording knowledge goes. :cry:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Chi

Post by Chi »

Hi mkoll,

http://dark-retreats.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a retreat in complete pitch blackness, ideally. Many traditions, including indigenous tribes and Tibetan Buddhism, use this for spiritual purposes. I highly recommend it for anybody serious about spiritual progress.

Thank you for the recording tips!
samseva

Post by samseva »

Most awesome and free recording software:
http://www.audacityteam.org

A simple USB microphone will be more than what you need for audiobook recording (no need for a mixing console):
Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB - Amazon

Watch videos on YouTube for tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +audiobook

Source: Recorded/studied music and music arrangement for multiple years.

However, I would look into the legality of recording audio versions of printed books.

Good luck for your plans.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Chi wrote:Hi mkoll,

http://dark-retreats.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a retreat in complete pitch blackness, ideally. Many traditions, including indigenous tribes and Tibetan Buddhism, use this for spiritual purposes. I highly recommend it for anybody serious about spiritual progress.

Thank you for the recording tips!
Thanks, very interesting.
Chi

Post by Chi »

samseva wrote:Most awesome and free recording software:
http://www.audacityteam.org

A simple USB microphone will be more than what you need for audiobook recording (no need for a mixing console):
Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB - Amazon

Watch videos on YouTube for tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +audiobook

Source: Recorded/studied music and music arrangement for multiple years.

However, I would look into the legality of recording audio versions of printed books.

Good luck for your plans.
Thank you so much for sharing you wisdom samseva!

I was going to start with books and material that have no copyright and/or are in the public domain, first. Lots of ebooks out there for free distribution, I think.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Chi wrote:Thank you so much for sharing you wisdom samseva!

I was going to start with books and material that have no copyright and/or are in the public domain, first. Lots of ebooks out there for free distribution, I think.
You're welcome. Yes, there are a lot of books and ebooks for free distribution, but it doesn't mean that they are in the public domain. It's not that the authors don't want you to make audiobook versions of their material, but it's that you aren't really allowed to—at least not without their permission. If you get in contact with the authors, it will probably yield positive results and you will maybe get their approval to make audiobook versions of their books (not for commercial reasons, but 100% for free distribution though).
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Chi wrote: Many traditions, including indigenous tribes and Tibetan Buddhism, use this for spiritual purposes. I highly recommend it for anybody serious about spiritual progress.

In Tibetan Buddhism, darkness retreats are usually only done by experienced practitioners under the specific guidance of a teacher. They're not done randomly by anyone who fancies having a go at it, or discussed in public afterwards.

:anjali:
Last edited by Aloka on Thu May 19, 2016 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chi

Post by Chi »

samseva wrote:
Chi wrote:Thank you so much for sharing you wisdom samseva!

You're welcome. Yes, there are a lot of books and ebooks for free distribution, but it doesn't mean that they are in the public domain. It's not that the authors don't want you to make audiobook versions of their material, but it's that you aren't really allowed to—at least not without their permission. If you get in contact with the authors, it will probably yield positive results and you will maybe get their approval to make audiobook versions of their books (not for commercial reasons, but 100% for free distribution though).
Thank you for explaining the difference between something being for free distribution and being in the public domain. I'm learning about kinds of things about books and microphones!

For example:
http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachings/ ... Xu_Yun.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The author (Empty Cloud), the original translator, and the editor/reviser have all left this world. It's free on the internet. Has no copyright mark. Do you think this is public domain?

and, this:
http://www.drepunggomangusa.org/wp-cont ... rTrans.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this public domain?
Chi

Post by Chi »

Aloka wrote:
Chi wrote: Many traditions, including indigenous tribes and Tibetan Buddhism, use this for spiritual purposes. I highly recommend it for anybody serious about spiritual progress.
In Tibetan Buddhism, darkness retreats are usually only done by experienced practitioners under the specific guidance of a teacher. They're not done randomly by anyone who fancies having a go at it, or discussed in public afterwards.

Yes.

I think, if a person has sat some longer retreats, it's quite beneficial and healing to be in a dark room for some time. For me, it's been the most life-changing experience. Only 11 days, and I feel like I've found a thousand wish-fulfilling jewels. To have an opportunity to purify perception is most fortunate.

Plus, I've been dealing with a annoying physical condition for a few years now, and it never felt better than when I was in the dark. It's amazing how the body can heal itself.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Chi wrote:Thank you for explaining the difference between something being for free distribution and being in the public domain. I'm learning about kinds of things about books and microphones!

For example:
http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachings/ ... Xu_Yun.pdf

The author (Empty Cloud), the original translator, and the editor/reviser have all left this world. It's free on the internet. Has no copyright mark. Do you think this is public domain?

and, this:
http://www.drepunggomangusa.org/wp-cont ... rTrans.pdf

Is this public domain?
It depends on a few things. One of those things is in what country something has been published, since copyright laws change from country to country. In the US, works are in the public domain 70 years after the creator's death. Furthermore, the books you cited are translations from contemporary writers on books that are in the public domain. I'd have to research more to make sure, but I think works on public domain material are copyrighted. For example, Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations of some of the Nikāyas of the Tipiṭaka are from ancient writings, but they are copyrighted.
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

Very interesting insights! Even intellectual understanding is better than no understanding, IMO.

"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia