Shootings at Ft Hood, Texas

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Tex
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Shootings at Ft Hood, Texas

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:55 pm

(Ft Hood is, if I'm not mistaken, the largest military base in the US)

Story broke about an hour-and-a-half ago -- At least 9 are dead and 20 more wounded, and apparently one of the shooters is still loose in the compound. There were either two or three shooters to start with, all in camoflouge, but not certain if they were Army or not yet.

Edit: Death toll up to 12, including the loose shooter, wounded up to 31. The other two shooters are in custody. Hopefully that is the end of it.

Ugh.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

adamposey
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Shootings at Ft Hood, Texas

Postby adamposey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:54 pm

What a horrific act. Hopefully everyone who was not killed in the event heals well both mentally and physically. These events are quite scarring.

poto

Postby poto » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:06 pm

Tragic :(

I wonder if today's date has any significance to this attack, being Guy Fawkes Night and all.

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis

Tex

Postby Tex » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 pm

It's also the anniversary of the date Saddam Hussein was sentenced to death three years ago.

Not sure if that has anything to do with today's tragedy.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

adamposey

Postby adamposey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:43 am

The shooting occurred on an army complex. Soldiers in the United States have been becoming increasingly disgruntled about being sent to war. Some have started committing suicide to avoid leaving the US for foreign lands. I hope this man was not acting out of similar fear.

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:18 am

There have been a number of attacks like this on military bases, by soldiers, in recent years...

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:10 am

since july alone, 75 soldiers have comitted suicide at fort hood.. probably not the happiest place around
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

A Medic

Postby A Medic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:15 am

adamposey wrote:The shooting occurred on an army complex. Soldiers in the United States have been becoming increasingly disgruntled about being sent to war. Some have started committing suicide to avoid leaving the US for foreign lands. I hope this man was not acting out of similar fear.

It is my understanding the man who did this was a Muslim and outspoken against the war. He was set to deploy as well.

:anjali:

adamposey

Postby adamposey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 pm

A Medic wrote:
adamposey wrote:The shooting occurred on an army complex. Soldiers in the United States have been becoming increasingly disgruntled about being sent to war. Some have started committing suicide to avoid leaving the US for foreign lands. I hope this man was not acting out of similar fear.

It is my understanding the man who did this was a Muslim and outspoken against the war. He was set to deploy as well.

I don't think his religious preferences had anything to do with the attack, and its not fair to him or other muslims to pretend that his religion had any real impact on his decision to do this.

Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:24 pm

adamposey wrote:I don't think his religious preferences had anything to do with the attack, and its not fair to him or other muslims to pretend that his religion had any real impact on his decision to do this.

It's not fair to conclude that his religion influenced his horrific actions. But it's not fair to dismiss it, either. We simply don't know one way or the other yet.

Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:27 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:since july alone, 75 soldiers have comitted suicide at fort hood.. probably not the happiest place around

I'm curious where you saw this figure? The one I saw on CNN and elsewhere was two suicides, which I thought was staggeringly low (unbelievably low?) for a base that holds over 50,000 soliders who have been through (or are about to be through) such mental and emotional horrors in Iraq or Afghanistan.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Tex wrote:It's not fair to conclude that his religion influenced his horrific actions. But it's not fair to dismiss it, either. We simply don't know one way or the other yet.

Yes, too early to tell, but there is this report here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fort_hood ... ng_suspect

adamposey

Postby adamposey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:31 pm

Tex wrote:
adamposey wrote:I don't think his religious preferences had anything to do with the attack, and its not fair to him or other muslims to pretend that his religion had any real impact on his decision to do this.

It's not fair to conclude that his religion influenced his horrific actions. But it's not fair to dismiss it, either. We simply don't know one way or the other yet.

If his religious beliefs caused him to attack then he is no more a muslim than the Abortion clinic bombers were Christian. Which is to say "in name only." It is a tired, sorry, excuse to consider the people who pervert religion a part of the religion they claim. Surely if some Buddhist were to go on such a rampage we would be quick to point out that those actions are not in line with buddhism.

A Medic

Postby A Medic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm

adamposey wrote:
A Medic wrote:

I don't think his religious preferences had anything to do with the attack, and its not fair to him or other muslims to pretend that his religion had any real impact on his decision to do this.

Some of the news stories I read said he was posting on Islamic sites, and said Muslims should rise up. I am only going by the news. Also I read he had been "picked on" for being Muslim.

Ft. Hood does have a very high suicide rate.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:47 pm

Tex wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:since july alone, 75 soldiers have comitted suicide at fort hood.. probably not the happiest place around

I'm curious where you saw this figure? The one I saw on CNN and elsewhere was two suicides, which I thought was staggeringly low (unbelievably low?) for a base that holds over 50,000 soliders who have been through (or are about to be through) such mental and emotional horrors in Iraq or Afghanistan.

npr
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Postby christopher::: » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:44 am

Being Muslim doesn't explain his actions, but it seems that his family was from Palestine as well, and he still has relatives there. That, along with the attack on his car (and faith) by a bigoted neighbor, the stories of death and destruction he heard from US soldiers, discrimination he says he experienced in the military (see below), his imminent deployment to Afghanistan, etc. might all have been contributing factors to the vengeful and dualistic mindset he developed....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_ ... d_shooting

excerpt:

Hasan is the Arlington, Va.-born son of Palestinian parents who ran a restaurant and bar in Roanoke, Va., from 1987 to 1995, and owned a small grocery store in that city. His relatives in the West Bank said they had heard from family members that Hasan felt mistreated in the Army as a Muslim.

"He told (them) that as a Muslim committed to his prayers he was discriminated against and not treated as is fitting for an officer and American," said Mohammed Malik Hasan, 24, a cousin. "He hired a lawyer to get him a discharge."Mohammed Hasan said outside his home in Ramallah that he heard about the shooting from a relative. "I was surprised, honestly, because the guy and his brothers are so calm, and he, as I know, loves his work."

Nidal Hasan is the eldest of three brothers. One brother, Annas, lives in Ramallah with a wife and daughter, and practices law. The youngest brother, Eyad, lives in Virginia. "We don't mix with them a lot," Mohammed said. "Nidal like to stay alone, he was very calm. He minded his own business."
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."

A Medic

Postby A Medic » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:14 am

I don't know his motivation for this, but if it was to avoid deployment there were other options he could have taken. Such as filing for conscientious objector status, going AWOL, or just refusing to go and being arrested.

Postby christopher::: » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:16 am

Soldiers don't usually go on a rampage with handguns, killing others, just to avoid deployment. Those who knew him say he was very calm and cool. It sounds like he was possibly suppressing intense feelings of anger and rage.

Impossible to be sure, of course.

catmoon

Postby catmoon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:59 am

One thing is for sure. This incident is a Muslim PR disaster. The optics are terrible.

A Medic

Postby A Medic » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:07 am

christopher::: wrote:Soldiers don't usually go on a rampage with handguns, killing others, just to avoid deployment. Those who knew him say he was very calm and cool. It sounds like he was possibly suppressing intense feelings of anger and rage.

Impossible to be sure, of course.

I agree. There are reports that he was being made fun of for being a Muslim. I find this whole incident shocking in many ways. For one he was a psychiatrist. I don't understand how he could do this being a psychiatrist. I just feel like he should have seen the signs in his self, and then know to get help. Unless he didn't want help.

Second I am a soldier in the Army reserves. To me the military is very much like a extended family. What shocked me the most was that a soldier did this to fellow soldiers. Generally from everything I have seen soldiers really do work to help take care of each other because there a re times when all we have is each other.

My hope is that something can be learned from this. :namaste:

Return to “Lounge”