Dhamma Wheel meetings

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
mikenz66

Re: Dhamma Wheel meetings

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks. I mostly used the outdoors, and my kuti, for walking and sitting, but the floor in the vihara was nicely padded, and I used that for walking and sitting on one of the days when it was hot outside, and there was some noisy pumping going on around the naga pool...

Being cold season it was quit cold at dawn, 10-15, my wooly hat was useful, but got to 25-30 during the day time.

This is at dawn (7am):
015_20160113_071222_small.jpg
015_20160113_071222_small.jpg (74.77 KiB) Viewed 35983 times
:anjali:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Great Photos Mike.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

chanmeditation1.jpg
chanmeditation1.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 35109 times
At my place / meditation hall
I'm at the top right photo
chanmeditation2.jpg
chanmeditation2.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 35109 times
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Nice photos.
I can't recognise any of other members except David.
;)
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

This is a welcome thread -- had now idea it was here. Gives some "humanity" to the team people pictured, who are other wise cryptic avatar-images, names-not-sure-if-genuine, etc.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I was on a retreat for last week at Staveley Camp with Southern Insight Meditation. Southern Insight has been around for 20 years or so, and have various external and internal lay teachers, several of which studied with Christopher Titmuss (Gaia House, UK).

On the last day, when we could talk again, I was approached by a gentleman who asked "Are you mikenz66? I'm Goofaholix." Great to meet another on-line associate in real-life space.

Goofaholix showing that he's the most dedicated participant, with the simplest cushion setup...
20170113_091549.jpg
20170113_091549.jpg (144.56 KiB) Viewed 38252 times
Hall, dining room, kitchen, bunk rooms, native forest...
20170113_091324.jpg
20170113_091324.jpg (243.67 KiB) Viewed 38251 times
Walking meditation, camper vans, tents, mountains...
20170113_091520.jpg
20170113_091520.jpg (276.28 KiB) Viewed 38251 times
Location: https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-43.6405 ... a=!3m1!1e3

This is one of a number of Christian camps in NZ that rent themselves out to various groups (scouts, amateur astronomers, Zen and insight meditation groups...).
It's all run on a voluntary basis, with lists and menus and so on developed over the past 20 years, so it goes quite smoothly. Like the ski weeks I used to go to on club skifields when I was young. This keeps that cost down, but of course we all have to participate in cooking/cleaning/etc. I like toilet cleaning personally, since it's quite a reasonably solitary activity, and my partner and I developed a very efficient routine that beat the women's team hands down (not that cleaning is a competition...).

There was, of course, much more talking and other activities than I'm used to with essentially solitary retreats at monasteries. However, that was useful in breaking my routine, and giving me new perspectives.

A lot of the participants (and the teachers) work in counselling-related professions, and there is a strong environmental-awareness undercurrent. That feeling of people reaching out to make a difference, in accordance with the Dhamma, was very moving. For example, one of the participants was heavily involved in this initiative that reduced re-offending of violent offenders dramatically, and won various awards:
http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/ ... -top-prize and he credited his Dhamma training with giving him the tools to work effectively with offenders, without being overly judgemental.

I am more and more seeing right speech, right action and right livelihood as key aspects of the Path. Over the past 10 years I've gained a lot of theoretical knowledge, and had plenty of technique development. This retreat made it clearer that actually applying Dhamma out in the world is the challenging part.

Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I like toilet cleaning personally
You are very close to attaining final Nibbana.
Just press the flushing down button. (let go)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Looks like a beautiful place, great for practice.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, very nice. Quieter than Thailand last January... :sage:

And the full moon on Thursday was awesome... I stayed up late but, alas, no Devas came to talk to me...

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote:
I like toilet cleaning personally
You are very close to attaining final Nibbana.
Just press the flushing down button. (let go)
:woohoo:
Mike
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

mikenz66 wrote:
I am more and more seeing right speech, right action and right livelihood as key aspects of the Path. Over the past 10 years I've gained a lot of theoretical knowledge, and had plenty of technique development. This retreat made it clearer that actually applying Dhamma out in the world is the challenging part.
Well said.