Conjoined twins separated in mammoth operation

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Conjoined twins separated in mammoth operation

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:19 am

Two Bangladeshi girls were separated today in a mammoth operation lasting 27 hours in Melbourne.
Interestingly, the girls were joined at the head and the brains intimately linked with shared blood supply.
It leads one to wonder what the experience of consciousness for those two girls.

Anyway...
Here's the story: http://www.theage.com.au/national/conjo ... utostart=1
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Conjoined twins separated in mammoth operation

Postby pink_trike » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:51 am

In thinking about how the process of becoming carnate again is described in Buddhism - that is (roughly described) - a person dies, their "trace elements" pass through some stages, they hang out for a while or maybe not, and then "sees" or maybe is electromagnetically drawn to a copulating couple where these "trace elements" then "choose" to take a dive into the egg at the moment the sperm penetrates it...I wonder how the theory would apply in this situation. Two people's trace elements hovering in the mists of the bardo zone happened to both "choose" the same egg at the same time? Or just one "trace element conglomerate" dove into the egg and infused the organism as it grew into a singular double so that both separated organisms now are infused/infuenced by with the same trace elements? Is the consciousness that arose from the trace elements now two conscioui (or whatever the plural of consciousness is), or is it just one, shared by two separate organisms? Any serious responses?
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Ben » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:59 am

Hi Pink
My understandng is that twins can come into existence from the release and fertilization of two eggs simultaneously of from one egg that splits sometime after conception. Its in the latter case that both twins are genetically identical.
I think you raise some very interesting questions regarding the Buddhist/Abhidhammic explanation as to what happens with regards to twins and conjoined twins. It appears from the article that both Trishn and Krishna are separate 'personalities' but I wonder what their experience of consciousness is like, how much and how intimately aware are they of the other? I think it would be fascinating if they shared the same thoughts, the same vedana and obviously being conjoined, they share the same rupa.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby LauraJ » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Interesting Ben, thanks :)
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
LauraJ

Return to Lounge