Why I don't watch the news...

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Mawkish1983
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Why I don't watch the news...

Postby Mawkish1983 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Just some random musings before I get on with cleaning the kitchen...

In 1982 (before I was even born) a statement was made which is as true now as it was then (it might even be more true now!)

Donald Hugh Henley wrote:I make my living off the evening news. Just give me something, something I can use. People love it when you lose, they love dirty laundry. Well, I could have been an actor but I wound up here. I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear. Come and whisper in my ear, give us dirty laundry. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them all around. We've got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who comes on at five. She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye. It's interesting when people die; gives us dirty laundry. Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the newsroom have got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we need dirty laundry. You don't really need to find out what's going on, you don't really want to know just how far its gone. Just leave well enough alone, eat your dirty laundry. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're up, kick them when they're down. Kick them when they're stiff, kick them all around. Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies. We've got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pies. We love to cut you down to size, we love dirty laundry. We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing. When it's said and done with haven't told you a thing. We all know that crap is king, give's us dirty laundry.

I favourite comedian of mine (Charlie Brooker) made a series to reflect upon the news called 'newswipe'. Here's a clip from the first episode (check out quantitative easing :zzz: ):

And a later episode demonstrating the bias (all those cameras near an unguarded window just by chance? Come on!):

Thank heavens another comedian has decided to confront the media from a different angle, not by making fun of the darker side of the news, but by finding the rare bright side (see 8:37, right near the end):

(I don't find Russell Howard funny, but I do find Charlie Brooker funny. Strange.)

Cittasanto

Re: Why I don't watch the news...

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:50 pm

memories such good memories
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

MJH
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby MJH » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:30 pm

****full disclosure****
I was a television photojournalist for years before I moved into documentary/commercial work. Plus, my wife is a print journalist.

Mawkish1983,

I fully understand your distrust and disdain for the media. Let's face it, sensationalism sells. I also think we need to remember that the media does perform a valuable service to the community. Just think how some of these stories may have been swept under the rug if they were not brought to the public's attention by the media.

Watergate
The My Lai Massacre
Abu Ghraib prison
The abuses of Apartheid
Democratic National Convention in Chicago
etc........

Just food for thought. :smile:

Perry

Postby Perry » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:05 pm

I absolutely adore Charlie Brooker, it might be worth checking out his columns on The Guardian website for some good old-fashioned criticism of the media.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/charliebrooker

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:13 pm

I think John Pilger is much better than some comedian.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 pm

If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Perry

Postby Perry » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:30 pm

retrofuturist wrote:

:rofl: I truly hope that is meant ironically! (Even though he IS right about everything! :P)

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:48 am

Oooh, I can't watch Retro's video until tomorrow. But I will. Tomorrow :)

Return to “Lounge”