Climate Change and Copenhagen

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Climate Change and Copenhagen

Postby cooran » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:30 am

Hello all,

Virtual vote gives you a voice at Copenhagen
Cast your Vote
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 762091.htm

metta
Chris
Last edited by cooran on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Re: Virtual vote gives you a voice at Copenhagen

Postby Ben » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:07 am

Thank you Chris!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby poto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:45 pm

What kind of crap is this? There's no option to vote no.

The comments are a joke, nobody will read them. I refuse to participate in such a thing.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby cooran » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:08 pm

Hello poto,

Well, Just dont vote.

62,500 people voted in the first days.

metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby poto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Chris wrote:Hello poto,

Well, Just dont vote.

62,500 people voted in the first days.

metta
Chris

I filled out the form on the website. They have fields for if you are an individual or organization, and your location, which when filled out takes you to a map. On the map there are places to leave comments, but no place to cast an actual vote. If there is then I can't seem to find it, which is extremely irritating considering the name of the website is 'showyourvote.org'.

Am I missing something? Where do you see voting options? Why do they call it voting if there is only commenting and no actual voting?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
poto

Postby cooran » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:04 pm

Hello poto,

For the External website: showyourvote.org Go to:
http://www.showyourvote.org/vote?skin=mini

Fill in the spaces CORRECTLY and click on "SUBMIT".

My understanding is that Google won't display a working "submit" button if your I.P. (which they see) doesn't match where you say you come from on the form - otherwise the votes could be of doubtful authenticity.

metta
Chris
cooran

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:04 pm

poto wrote:Am I missing something? Where do you see voting options? Why do they call it voting if there is only commenting and no actual voting?

Perhaps it should be renamed "petition":
Your vote will be presented to world leaders at the COP15 UN climate summit
in Copenhagen, telling them to seal a fair and effective climate deal.

Mike
mikenz66

Postby cooran » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:12 pm

Hello all,

Some articles worth perusing:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/climate-change/

metta
Chris
cooran

Postby poto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Chris wrote:Hello poto,

For the External website: showyourvote.org Go to:
http://www.showyourvote.org/vote?skin=mini

Fill in the spaces CORRECTLY and click on "SUBMIT".

My understanding is that Google won't display a working "submit" button if your I.P. (which they see) doesn't match where you say you come from on the form - otherwise the votes could be of doubtful authenticity.

metta
Chris

I hit the submit button thinking it would then let me access a vote page. No problems with my IP, and the submit button worked perfectly. The problem is there is nowhere that allows me to vote.

mikenz66 wrote:
poto wrote:Am I missing something? Where do you see voting options? Why do they call it voting if there is only commenting and no actual voting?

Perhaps it should be renamed "petition":
Your vote will be presented to world leaders at the COP15 UN climate summit
in Copenhagen, telling them to seal a fair and effective climate deal.

Mike

I guess I just unwillingly signed a petition then.

Dirty pool.
poto

Postby cooran » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:55 am

Hello all,

One of the political parties in Australia basically believes any alleged affect by human activity on Climate Change is a myth ~ this is the party backed by coal miners, transport firms and graziers.

But things are coming closer to home now ~ not just extreme temperatures, but towns running out of water for the first time since european settlement:

Emergency water trucked into Australia's Queensland
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8398545.stm

Makes you think, hey?

metta
Chris
cooran

Postby poto » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:23 am

Chris wrote:Hello all,

One of the political parties in Australia basically believes any alleged affect by human activity on Climate Change is a myth ~ this is the party backed by coal miners, transport firms and graziers.

But things are coming closer to home now ~ not just extreme temperatures, but towns running out of water for the first time since european settlement:

Emergency water trucked into Australia's Queensland
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8398545.stm

Makes you think, hey?

metta
Chris

The argument that skeptics are shills for big oil no longer hold water. As has been revealed from the unfolding ClimateGate scandal, global warming scientists were taking money from big oil.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/04/c ... r-support/

Also, your country is mostly desert, no? Am I supposed to be shocked that there is a drought? Lack of water in the desert, yeah it makes me think, that it's a desert.
poto

Postby Paññāsikhara » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:25 am

Aus is getting hit hard, already, and things have only just started to warm up.
Follow Ben and move to Tassie! :P
Hope you can all convince the opposition parties on this one, though.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby Ben » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 am

Hi Bhante
Paññāsikhara wrote:Aus is getting hit hard, already, and things have only just started to warm up.

More Buddhists in this land of savages - the better!

Its been an interesting day in Australian federal politics today. The recently ousted leader of the Opposition, Malcolm Turnbull has publically given the new opposition leader, Tony Abbot, a royal schelacking over the Liberal Party's policy on climate change. Read it (the news article) for yourself...

Turnbull blasts Abbott's 'bullshit' climate change stance
Former Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull has delivered an extraordinary attack on Tony Abbott, describing the central plank of his successor's response to climate change as "bullshit" and saying the party could not be trusted.

In a blog posted on his website this morning, Mr Turnbull has delivered what he describes as "a few home truths" about the "farce" that the Coalition's climate change policy has become.

Mr Turnbull lost the leadership of the Liberal Party to Mr Abbott by a single vote in a partyroom meeting last Tuesday.

Mr Abbott has since ditched the party's commitment to the Government's emissions trading scheme negotiated under Mr Turnbull's leadership. The new Opposition Leader says he remains committed to the target of 5 per cent carbon emissions on 2000 levels by 2020, but has ruled out a carbon tax or trading scheme as part of his alternative policy.

"You cannot cut emissions without a cost," Mr Turnbull wrote. "To replace dirty coal-fired power stations with cleaner gas-fired ones, or renewables like wind let alone nuclear power or even coal fired power with carbon capture and storage is all going to cost money."

Somebody has to pay, Mr Turnbull declared.

"So any suggestion that you can dramatically cut emissions without any cost is, to use a favourite term of Mr Abbott, 'bullshit'. Moreover, he knows it."

He seized on earlier comments from one of Mr Abbott's backers, Senator Nick Minchin, that a majority of the members of the parliamentary Liberal Party did not believe in climate change caused by human activity. While disputing Mr Minchin's reading of the party room's mood, Mr Turnbull said the leadership of the party did not see any need to act on climate change.

"The Liberal Party is currently led by people whose conviction on climate change is that it is "crap" and you don't need to do anything about it. Any policy that is announced will simply be a con, an environmental figleaf to cover a determination to do nothing."

In his deeply personal attack, Mr Turnbull charts the movements in Mr Abbott's stance on climate change.

Mr Turnbull claims Mr Abbot has: publicly advocated blocking the ETS, passing the ETS, amending the ETS and passing it with those amendments, and now blocking it.

"His only redeeming virtue in this remarkable lack of conviction is that every time he announced a new position to me he would preface it with 'Mate, mate, I know I am a bit of a weather vane on this, but.....'," Mr Turnbull wrote.

The former Opposition Leader declared that the failure to uphold the deal negotiated with the Government meant: "We have given our opponents the irrefutable, undeniable evidence that we cannot be trusted."

The blog post comes just four days after Mr Turnbull vowed not to cause trouble for his new leader from the backbench.

‘‘I’m not going to run a commentary on Tony Abbott,’’ he told reporters last Thursday. ‘‘Lots of people ran commentaries on me when I was leader but I’m going to be more measured in my backbench remarks.

Before Mr Turnbull published his blog post, Mr Abbott spoke this morning about his alternative climate change policy, noting that the cost would depend on what was agreed by the party room, but it would be less than Labor’s $120 billion carbon pollution reduction scheme.

‘‘I’m confident that we can achieve, well and truly, mandatory (emission) targets for an enormous amount less than that,’’ Mr Abbott said.

Mr Abbott is expected to respond to Mr Turnbull's claim when he addresses the media late this morning in Sydney.

-- http://www.theage.com.au/environment/tu ... utostart=1
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby zavk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:40 am

Sigh
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby cooran » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:55 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:Aus is getting hit hard, already, and things have only just started to warm up.

Hello Bhante,

Yes, I'd love to do that (move to Tassie, that is) but then there is the fact of Winter :(

I have to do Home Visiting of clients in my job over the next two days, and on the 7th day of Summer the temps are predicted to be over 39C. I've burned my hands on the steering wheel at that temp. even with the aluminium windscreen protectors.

Let's hope that reason and science prevails here and in Copenhagen.

metta and respect,
Chris
cooran

Postby Ben » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:59 am

Chris wrote:Yes, I'd love to do that (move to Tassie, that is) but then there is the fact of Winter :(

WIMP!

Did I tell you I was getting around Launnie in just a t-shirt during winter?
That aside, let's hope rationality and a mundane sense of global samvegaprevails at Copenhagen!
metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:24 am

Hello all,

Ben ~ only takes a frost and I've got coats, scarves and beanies on. :D

Climate Change Glossary:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8314171.stm

metta
Chris
cooran

Postby zavk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:06 am

If the cold and hot weather becomes more extreme here, I'll go up north to escape winter, Chris, and down south to escape summer, Ben.
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby poto » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Can you send me some of your global warming?

I woke up to snow and freezing temps outside today, and I'd like it gone soon. Please send warming ASAP!
poto

Climate change and Copenhagen

Postby cooran » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:08 pm

Yep - that's part of the possible scenarios of Climate Change.

A scarier, colder vision of the climate change future
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/a-scarier ... -ahz4.html

metta
Chris
cooran

Next

Return to Lounge