Buddhist gift ideas for christmas?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Buddhist gift ideas for christmas?

Postby James the Giant » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:33 am

Anybody got any ideas for dhamma-related gifts?
Dhamma Books are nice I guess... Tibetan prayer-flags are nice... ooh, a bell would be cool.
What are other materialistic yet dhamma-related gifts that could be given to Buddhists for christmas?
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Re: Buddhist gift ideas for christmas?

Postby LauraJ » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:02 am

Buddha rupa? :)
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
LauraJ

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:11 am

Hi James
I tried to find that great cartoon of a monk receiving a gift and opening the box he exclaims
'Just what I've always wanted....nothing!'

I'm actually quite particular when it comes to Dhamma books and even buddha rupas - which hasn't stopped friends and family from giving me buddha rupas!
I think a dhamma book or devotional object is fine if you know the person quite intimately and you know where they're at with their understanding and practice. If you're quite comfortable fitting the right Dhamma book with the person, or that they've indicated a strong interest in this or that publication - then go for it.

I'm in favour of giving a book to a dhamma friend but perhaps on a mundane non-fiction subject that the person is interested in. Whatever you do, I think its important to be thoughtful and sensitive in selecting the gift for the person. While it is true that the act of generosity is of primary importance, the selection of the gift itself can be for many people totemic of the relationship and the value you place on the relationship.

All the very best with selecting gifts for your Dhamma friends!
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Euclid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:27 am

Good ideas so far.

I think perhaps the best gift is giving somebody a CD with Access To Insight's database on it. If you know how to burn an .iso onto a CD, you can download the .iso from http://www.accesstoinsight.org/cdrom/index.html

It won't cost you a cent, and comes with a pretty comprehensive database of dhamma goodness (all of the suttas, articles, and PDF files available at Access To Insight)

Metta.
Euclid

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:59 am

I'm a bit confused about the logic of giving a Buddhist a present to celebrate a Christian festival but I know from personal experience that people do wish to do just that, and it's kind of unfriendly to try to stop them.
A suitable gift from a non-Buddhist to a Buddhist* could be anything that aligns with the core Buddhist principles.
Booze is clearly a no-no :smile: , but a donation on behalf of the recipient to any charity working to alleviate suffering is a good possibility. My family tends to spend a lot on Fair Trade goods from the local World Vision shop at this time of year, too, because each gift gives to to the producer, to World Vision and to the recipient - quite a good multiplier effect.

Hope this helps,

Kim

* Or vice versa, of course.
Kim OHara

Postby cooran » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:18 am

Hello all,

I happily give and receive presents on Christmas Day ~ Australia is a fairly non-religious nation, even those who say they are Christians rarely go to church except to be hatched, matched and dispatched.

I prefer relatives and friends not to give me anything specifically Buddhist, and I would never impose anything Buddhist on a non-buddhist friend or relative.

So Christmas is more a cultural Family Festival and the main actors are Mr. Claus and his stable of flying reindeers.

Even my devout conservative Muslim friend and I (she wears the hijab in public and is in an arranged marriage) exchange presents and wish each other love, happiness and good health.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:22 am

Hi Kim
Kim O'Hara wrote:I'm a bit confused about the logic of giving a Buddhist a present to celebrate a Christian festival but I know from personal experience that people do wish to do just that, and it's kind of unfriendly to try to stop them.

The origins of Christmas actually predate Christianity. And gift-giving was never a part of Christmas until quite recently. Christmas today is less about Christianity and more about materialism and consumerism. I think that a day devoted to loving kindness and generosity is very much in keeping with Buddhism. Why not celebrate Christmas as a Buddhist? It would be an extension of your practice.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby catmoon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:30 am

I think someone should redo the redneck Christmas video genre and do a redneck Buddhist video. Monster trucks with chromie dhamma wheels, that sorta thing. And banjos, lotsa banjos. Yee Haw (mani padme hum).
catmoon

Postby PeterB » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:25 am

Posh incense , free of chemicals and fillers. ( except stocking fillers :smile: ) from Pure-incense or Jivada. The latter is run by a former Ajahn Chah monk called Maheshi.
PeterB

Postby suriyopama » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:28 am

Buddha's lost children DVD

http://www.buddhaslostchildren.com/
suriyopama

Return to Lounge