The new Facebook...your life bundled for sale

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

The new Facebook...your life bundled for sale

Postby pink_trike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:40 am

"Just as Facebook turned friends into a commodity, it has likewise gathered our personal data – our updates, our baby photos, our endless chirping birthday notes— and readied it to be bundled and sold."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1260846 ... e_facebook
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Re: The new Facebook...your life bundled for sale

Postby catmoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:20 am

pink_trike wrote:"Just as Facebook turned friends into a commodity, it has likewise gathered our personal data – our updates, our baby photos, our endless chirping birthday notes— and readied it to be bundled and sold."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1260846 ... e_facebook

I would dearly love to extract myself completely from facebook, but I know of no verifiable method of doing it.

Fortunately I'm profiled as a nuclear weapons designer.
catmoon

Postby LauraJ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:09 pm

I use Facebook but I've never been too crazy about it. When I used my real name people from grade school were befriending me and the whole thing seemed sort of weird. And uncomfortable. Now I use a dharma name and just have contact about the dharma with online dharma friends (for the most part). Much better.

:anjali:
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
LauraJ

Postby Kokoro » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:55 am

Thank-you Pink_trike. I had for a couple years been weary about some of the "features" of Facebook, and felt I was doing the smart thing by not approoving tagged photos of me, "friending" only people I've actually met or know someone who has, and keeping anything on my page g-rated.
If it weren't for the fact that it seems to be the only way to remain in contact with many of my friends, I would have left a while ago.
Again, thank-you for the link though. I'm glad you came across it.

:anjali:
Kokoro

Return to Lounge