Rage Against the Machine UK christmas no 1

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Rage Against the Machine UK christmas no 1

Postby Laurens » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Some of you may be aware of the battle waged between Simon Cowell's latest X-Factor release and a facebook campaign to get Rage Against the Machine's 1992 single Killing In The Name to the top of the charts.

Well the people have spoken, it's number one.

Also the campaign raised over £60,000 for the homeless charity Shelter, and the band promise to give the windfall of their earnings to charity also, which I think makes it all very much worthwhile. (You can still donate: http://www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/)

Personally I'm glad, cause I've been a fan of their music for a number of years, and its good to see that this christmas we don't have yet another cheesy ballad churned out at number one.

For those who haven't heard the song here it is, but be warned, it contains repeated expletives:
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Re: Rage Against the Machine UK christmas no 1

Postby Perry » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Haha, I bought it! It was nice to see rock fans get a voice in the UK again, but I doubt it will be for long. They'll probably end up with the record for the fastest drop out of the Top 100 for a no. 1 single.

I feel for Joe McElderry a bit but he'll probably be top next week anyway.
Perry

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Greetings,

Nice to see people raging against the X-Factor machine. 8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Laurens » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:20 am

Perry wrote:I feel for Joe McElderry a bit but he'll probably be top next week anyway.

I do feel a little bad for him, but as you say, people aren't going to carry on buying Rage Against the Machine. He will have his day.

I think it is good that people who like alternative music have decided enough is enough and actually managed to end Simon Cowell's run of tragically awful (I guess I should add 'in my opinion' here :P) Christmas number 1 songs. At least it proves we can make a difference if we club together!

The main thing for me though is the amazing amount that it raised for Shelter, very worthy, although I hope people are donating out of good will rather than to spite Cowell. The current total stands at:

£76,535.70

I'm sure neither Joe nor Simon can grumble about that.

Best wishes
Laurens
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Return to Lounge