Help stop burlesque classes opening next to Buddhist Centre

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Help stop burlesque classes opening next to Buddhist Centre

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 am

Dear supporter of the Melbourne Buddhist Centre,

A notice has been received from Moreland City Council informing us of a planning application for a pole dancing and burlesque dance school to operate in the building next door to the Melbourne Buddhist Centre.

The management committee of the MBC feels that, whilst we do not object to the school’s operation on an ethical or moral basis, there may well be a conflict of interest with regard to music, parking and the noise of classes coming and going that may interfere with our operations. A letter has been sent by the management committee outlining our reservations about this planning application being approved, but we feel that you, as a potentially impacted party, may like to register an objection to this application.

The school is already in existence – not a new business. They have an extensive web site and are currently situated in Victoria St, Brunswick. Bottoms Up! Burlesque School (http://www.buburlesque.com.au/index.html) Operations appear to be 6 days a week with the last class commencing at 8.30pm during the week. In addition to classes (burlesque and pole dancing) they offer hens’ parties and other functions and serve alcohol on an ‘as required’ basis.

If you feel the operation of this school may impact your participation at the Buddhist Centre, please send a letter of objection. You may copy and paste the following letter as a template.
Many thanks from the MBC committee for your consideration of this matter.
Letters should be mailed immediately to Planning Dept, Locked Bag 10, MORELAND 3058, or even better, emailed to info@moreland.vic.gov.au or faxed on (03) 9240 1212

----------------------------------------------------

Moreland City Council

Planning Department

Locked Bag 10

Moreland

Victoria 3058

For the Attention of the Manager, Planning Services

Name: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference: Objection to Planning Application Permit no MPS/2009/585 Bottoms Up! Burlesque School

I understand that a permit has been lodged for the a dancing school to be set up next door to the Melbourne Buddhist Centre at 1 Pitt St, Brunswick. I attend this Buddhist Centre and I wish to object to the planning application for the Bottoms Up! Burlesque School for the following reasons:

How the application, if approved, will affect my participation at the Melbourne Buddhist Centre:

Car parking

Car parking in Pitt St and surrounding areas is already at a premium. The Bottoms Up! Burlesque school has classes of 10 plus instructors, but with Hens’ parties – they advertise the number of 15 plus participants for Hens’ nights. Their website http://www.buburlesque.com.au/index.html states that there are 10 persons per class. This, plus instructors and a swap over of classes on an hourly basis, could mean upwards of 17 cars coming and going in Pitt St at any one time.

Impact on my quiet enjoyment of the Buddhist Centre

Potential noise from music during our activities.

Many of the activities at the Melbourne Buddhist Centre involve meditation, quiet reflection and discussions. Dancing, music and associated noise emanating six days per week from a neighbouring property may have an impact on my own attendance at classes or meditation sessions and my ability to benefit from the centre. I am concerned about the level of noise that may emanate from a sound system used for dancing instruction.

Increased foot traffic and noise outside.

A potential swap over of classes on an hourly basis could mean upwards of 20 people coming and going to the building at any one time, and congregating on the street outside the Buddhist Centre, that has the meditation room at the street end of the building. This, combined with the consumption of alcohol that they advertise is served at their events, may significantly impact on the serenity of the Buddhist Centre.

Hours of operation

The current hours of operation of the Bottoms Up! Burlesque School will coincide with the Melbourne Buddhist Centre hours of operation. Generally there are courses and activities on Monday lunch time, Monday to Thursday evenings from 7pm until 9.30 pm, and Saturdays 11.00 am until 5.00pm and Sunday all day activities 2-3 times per month. This means that peak parking time, car traffic, and foot traffic and noise will coincide with those of the dancing school.

Impact on the organisation

The Melbourne Buddhist Centre is a not-for-profit organisation. It runs on a very modest budget and utilises volunteers to run many of the activities. The proposed commercial operations of the Bottoms Up Burlesque School may have a negative impact on the ability of the Buddhist Centre to provide the people of Brunswick and wider Melbourne with an appropriate venue for Buddhist activities.

Much of the Centre’s income is derived from teaching meditation, which for beginners and many practitioners requires a largely calm and quiet environment. I question whether a dancing school next door will be conducive to the current generally calm and quiet residential environment.

Any deterioration in the quality of the local environment may have a financial impact on the centre through a potential reduction in attendance at classes or meditation sessions and a subsequent reduction cash flow.
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Help stop burlesque classes opening next to Buddhist Centre

Postby appicchato » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:05 pm

The way of the world, no?...

I hope it works out to your (and their) satisfaction...
appicchato

Postby pink_trike » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Darned world! The more we try to push it away, the more there it is. Blink and it moves in next door. :tongue:

I went to a Dharma Center in S.F. for years that was located in the very worst block of one of the worst neighborhoods in town. Roaring traffic, hoards of foot traffic, stepping over heroin addicts and passed out homeless drunk people in the doorway, the smell of alcohol and piss and the unique smells that waft out of a peepshow, sirens, yelling, car alarms, and don't even try to park within 3 blocks. Minding the mind in such an environment is very valuable and rewarding, and it prevents attachment to all the pretty, calm, and quiet that some folks confuse with paying attention and waking up. We don't need to escape the world to wake up to it.

I wonder how many people attending the burlesque classes might be intrigued by the Buddhist Center...
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Greetings bhante,

appicchato wrote:The way of the world, no?...

I hope it works out to your (and their) satisfaction...

Thanks... it's really just a favour for a friend of mine who is part of the MBC's committee of management, I don't go there personally. However, she was the person who helped get me into the Dhamma, so anything I can do to help in return...

:meditate:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:14 am

I would say that the noise is just one more thing to be mindful of.Theres a story that kornfield tells (or is it goldstein?) of staying at mahasi's monestary in the middle of a busy city. The residents went to mahasi complaining of the noise saying that they could not concentrate during meditation due to the noise. Mahasi simply said to them "did you note it?" Ajahn Chah also tells of a similar story. Live and let live,

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:20 am

Greetings BBB & Pink Trike,

It may well come to that.

Unfortunately though, this Buddhist Centre does not teach insight meditation... it conducts sessions in samatha meditation, in the form of anapanasati and metta cultivation. Thus, "working with" what additional sensory inputs arise, is not really compatible with the meditation techniques they use.

Metta,
Retro. :)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Lounge