Which Dhamma book should I read next?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.

Which of the following Dhamma books should I read next?

ANALAYO - Satipatthana: The Direct Path To Realization
79%
BHIKKHU BODHI - A Comprehensive Manual Of Abhidhamma
11%
NALINAKSHA DUTT - Buddhist Sects In India
11%

Total votes: 19

retrofuturist

Which Dhamma book should I read next?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm probably a few days now away from finishing the Dhamma book that I'm currently reading, and was just wondering what I would read next... I've short-listed it down to the following three, and could think of no better way to guide my choice than by democratic vote! Whichever one has the most votes at the time I finish the current text will be the next on my reading list. Feel free to explain your vote, either in terms of what you thought about a particular text, or what you think I might get out of it.

:reading:

Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Re: Which Dhamma book should I read next?

Post by tiltbillings »

Just to be naughty, I could have voted for Dutt's tome, which is interesting if you are interested in historical issues, but i think there are more interesting books to read in those terms.

Read ANALAYO - Satipatthana: The Direct Path To Realization, which will be time well spent in terms of practice, as the thread that has been discussing his book makes clear.
Attachments
Bhikkhu_Analayo_3_03[1].jpg
Bhikkhu_Analayo_3_03[1].jpg (10.06 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Paul
I also voted for Analayo. While I am a big fan of Bodhi's ACM, I would think Satipatthana will be more beneficial for you at this point. While Satipatthana is very much practice oriented, it is excellent for no other reason, and there are many reasons why it is excellent, than that it is of practical assistance to the meditator.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
zavk

Post by zavk »

Analayo too. To me, it further elucidates and carries on the spirit of The Heart of Buddhist Meditation, which I believe you are a fan of.
With metta,
zavk
bodom

Post by bodom »

Without a doubt Analayo.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Kare

Post by Kare »

Analayo gets lots of votes, and may be a good choice. On the other hand, if you already have read a bunch of books on satipatthana, one of the other books might be better for you.

So, OK, take a look at the result of the democratic votes. Then be an enlightened despot, and just make up your own mind! ;)
Mettāya,
Kåre
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kare wrote:Analayo gets lots of votes, and may be a good choice. On the other hand, if you already have read a bunch of books on satipatthana, one of the other books might be better for you.

So, OK, take a look at the result of the democratic votes. Then be an enlightened despot, and just make up your own mind! ;)
Heck, no. He should do what I say.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I voted for the Analayo simply because a quite few of us here are beginning it now, so it might be good for some discussion :) like a dhammawheel book group
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Thanks everyone... Analayo it is.

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
suanck

Post by suanck »

Any comment/opinion/experience on reading the book by Rupert Gethin, "The Buddhist Path to Awakening " (ISBN : 1851682856)?
Synopsis:

A comprehensive study of the Bodhi-pakkhiya Dhamma, the classic set of teachings known as `the thirty-seven dhammas that contribute to awakening', which includes such familiar items as the four establishments of mindfulness and the noble eightfold path.

Drawing exhaustively on a wide range of sources, and in particular on the Pali texts, Gethin examines these 37 conditions both individually and collectively, revealing how early Buddhist thinkers understood the process of spiritual practice by which our ordinary consciousness can be transformed into the awakened consciousness characterized by the wisdom and compassion of a Buddha.
Suan.