"Shastra-vasna" or The Lust for Scriptures

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

"Shastra-vasna" or The Lust for Scriptures

Postby bodom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:19 pm

I was reading wiki's article on Abhidhamma and came across this term. I have never heard it and was wondering its origin. I could not find any info on it. I also understand wiki's unreliable definitions and am concerned only with the origin of this term and its context in Buddhism if any.

Here is the article below:

The importance of the Abhidhamma Pitaka in classical Sinhalese Buddhism is suggested by the fact that it came to be furnished, not only, like much of the canon, with a commentary and a subcommentary on that commentary, but even with a subsubcommentary on that subcommentary.On the other hand, this relentless sub-commenting might be illustrative of what has been called "Shastra-vasna" or The Lust for Scriptures rather than a true effort at Nirvana , as envisioned by the Buddha. In more recent centuries, Burma has become the main centre of abhidhamma studies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhidhamma

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: "Shastra-vasna" or The Lust for Scriptures

Postby bodom » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 am

*bump*
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby cooran » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:20 am

Hello bodom, all,

I'm not sure this is in the right forum.

Isn't sastra vasana an Advaita Vedanta concept?

http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/adva ... asana.html

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby bodom » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Cooran thank you for the link much appreciated.I was not sure where to post this thread mods please move to where it belongs.

:anjali:
bodom

Postby meindzai » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Sounds like a case of somebody injecting their opinion into a Wikipedia article (CAN THAT HAPPEN? REALLY?) but it's still an interesting concept. The discussion on that forum seems to talk about whether studying can become a burden or not. Certainly this is something some teachers warn about.

But the Buddha said:

If he recites many teachings, but
— heedless man —
doesn't do what they say,
like a cowherd counting the cattle of
others,
he has no share in the contemplative life.

If he recites next to nothing
but follows the Dhamma
in line with the Dhamma;
abandoning passion,
aversion, delusion;
alert,
his mind well-released,
not clinging
either here or hereafter:
he has his share in the contemplative life.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

-M
meindzai

Return to Lounge