Gun sights, Jesus and Islam

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Gun sights, Jesus and Islam

Postby pink_trike » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 am

Religiosity and war always gravitate toward each other in varying form and degree. Both are cut from the same mental cloth - "Our beliefs are right and their beliefs are wrong"...generally used as justification for domination and annihilation. Colonization, subjugation, and erasure are an unacknowledged, unstated purpose of both war and religion.

Its not surprising to see these religious messages on weapons that tear people into bloody bits. War is frequently a tool of religion and vise versa, covertly or overtly...covertly on both sides in the current "police action". They are a snug fit. Shining a strong light on the covert religiosity that in part drives this war on both sides can only be a good thing.

Imagine a post-religious era...there'd be a whole lot less war. :tongue:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 am

pink_trike wrote:erasure are an unacknowledged, unstated purpose of both war and religion.

If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby pink_trike » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:51 am

I bow to Erasure. :tongue:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Guy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:47 am

pink_trike wrote:Imagine a post-religious era...there'd be a whole lot less war. :tongue:

Not necessarily, haven't you seen the South Park episode where the "United Atheist League", "United Atheist Alliance" and the "Allied Atheist Allegience" have a war over who has the best name? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_God_Go
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:31 pm

pink_trike wrote:Religiosity and war always gravitate toward each other in varying form and degree. Both are cut from the same mental cloth - "Our beliefs are right and their beliefs are wrong"...generally used as justification for domination and annihilation. Colonization, subjugation, and erasure are an unacknowledged, unstated purpose of both war and religion.

Its not surprising to see these religious messages on weapons that tear people into bloody bits. War is frequently a tool of religion and vise versa, covertly or overtly...covertly on both sides in the current "police action". They are a snug fit. Shining a strong light on the covert religiosity that in part drives this war on both sides can only be a good thing.

Imagine a post-religious era...there'd be a whole lot less war. :tongue:

Really ?
I suggest you try googling;
Stalin
Hitler
Mao and Pol Pot.
Who seemed to wage war and stage mass murder quite happily without the support of religious views.
Now try googling
Martin Luther King
Mother Teresa
Gandhi
Nelson Mandela
and the good old Salvation Army
who appear to do a lot of good despite being outmoded religionists.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:55 pm

Could you please give details ? As far as I am aware the Salvation Army that I am referring to is a Christian organisation founded in Victorian England By William Booth with a mission to the poor and homeless which as continued to this day.
In addition to the above I could and should have added the huge social contribution made by the Quakers in the area of peace, prison reform, etc etc. Despite being religionists, and therefore old hat and needing weeding out apparantly. To usher in a brave new world of shiny faced rationalists.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Whoops.. I appear to have replied to a post that has evaporated like the dew.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Sanghamitta wrote:Could you please give details ? As far as I am aware the Salvation Army that I am referring to is a Christian organisation founded in Victorian England By William Booth with a mission to the poor and homeless which as continued to this day.
In addition to the above I could and should have added the huge social contribution made by the Quakers in the area of peace, prison reform, etc etc. Despite being religionists, and therefore old hat and needing weeding out apparantly. To usher in a brave new world of shiny faced rationalists.

The methodists started the Sobriety movement, which lasted for around 100 years I think!
The quakers also built towns and hospitals for their workforce, which had schools, hospitals, churches, allotments to grow their own food, and gave us the five day working week if I remember rightly (last one.)
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Previous

Return to Lounge