Do you think animals have thoughts?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
OcTavO
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: Do you think animals have thoughts?

Postby OcTavO » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Yet another cat story. :tongue:

I used to have a contact juggling sphere. In my old apartment I would practice on summer afternoons and my cat would chase the reflections the crytal sphere made on the wall as I moved it.

In time I lost the ball and went on a multi year hiatus from the juggling hobby.

I recently decided to take it back up again, so I bought a new contact sphere (keep in mind, about five years have passed since I last used one - about a third of the average cats lifespan). I got home and took the ball out of its box and my cat saw me do this. It was a dull day and no light was reflected from the ball... but my cat took one look at the ball and went straight to the wall to wait for the reflection.

I found this fascinating. It not only clearly displayed long-term memory, but also she'd made a clear connection between the concept of the ball and the reflection it caused. Whoever said cats were dumb may, I think, not have actually owned one.

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi Octavo!

:hello:

Good to see you here.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Annapurna
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Annapurna » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Octavio, nice story.

My first cat had a traumatic experience by a vet. She woke up in the middle of an operation.

I got her back badly injured and traumatized, and the guy denied all responsibilty!

I cared for her until she was ok again.

But I could never go to that vet with her again, not that I wanted to go to him, but to his follower.

But when we just drove by in the vicinity, she became very upset, and when we drove by that house, she completely panicked.

She clearly remembered this place as a place of torture, where somebody had cut her belly open, and not given her enough anesthetics.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

OcTavO

Postby OcTavO » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:36 am

retrofuturist wrote:Hi Octavo!

:hello:

Good to see you here.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Hi Retro :hello:

I never left. Just had a very busy year. This place has swelled admirably! :toast:

Northernbuck

Postby Northernbuck » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:50 am

Cats are interesting. Our cat tends to stick with the kids when they are sick. He also follows my second youngest daughter around in the mornings because she feeds him then. Although, I have also seen him try to chase a bird and forget that he is inside with windows.
But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7

effort

Postby effort » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:40 am

there is two big red fishes these weeks in our kitchen ( they come from a dark big place to our kitchen waiting for their past place become ready again ), you know what do i found?

they are talking with me!!

just joking , i'm not crazy that much!,but i think one of them is depress and another one is normal and ok, so they have mental feeling. a fish has a mental feeling !! i'm not sure but this is the way that i look at them.

Return to “Lounge”