Jed McKenna - Wow.

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Jed McKenna - Wow.

Postby DerekP » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:29 am

Hey All,

I'm surprised to see no results when I searched for Jed McKenna. A friend of mine introduced me to his work a few months ago. I read his book - At first it didn't resonate with me, but then after a while everything he said kind of crept back in in an interesting manner.

I'd like to start a discussion on the various topics he's presented - Has anyone else checked out McKenna?
DerekP

Re: Jed McKenna - Wow.

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:36 am

Hi Derek
As you can see from our masthead, Dhamma Wheel is a Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Theravada.
Its not a new age discussion board.
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby DerekP » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:12 am

... That's why this was posted under the "General Dhamma" / Lounge section, not the Theravada section.

If you knew his work, you'd know it's the direct opposite of new age. McKenna's not about "feel good" BS, but about the no distraction pursuit of truth - No gurus, no idealogy, just the direct & unrelenting pursuit of truth until it is found.

Anyway, thanks for the kind welcome.

- Derek
DerekP

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:20 am

Hi Derek

Perhaps you can explain how the teachings of Jed McKenna relate to the Buddhadhamma.
Many thanks

Ben

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 am

but Ben, he says he's enlightened..
Last edited by jcsuperstar on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:03 am

Wow.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:07 am

jcsuperstar wrote:but Ben, he says he's enlightened..

Yes, JC, and he says that he's enlightened and we're not, over and over and over again.

For a salutory review of the fictitious McKenna's teachings, have a look at the one-star reviews of his work at Amazon.com:

Jed McKenna is enlightened.

There, that's the essense of the book.

Don't expect to find the answer to the question "so what is this 'enlightenment' thing?" The answer is, whatever the heck it is, whether "non-dual awareness" or "discovery of truth" or "being awakened", Jed McKenna is it.

And don't confuse him with other spiritual gurus, either. They are not the real thing. He is. They may be having a "mystic union" experience. Or whatever. Their's is different. In fact, whatever their experience, he has been there, done it. But his is better. You see, he is "enlightened".

But you can't blame Jed McKenna for being vague about it. After all, this "enlightnement" is not something that anybody else can really understand. Everybody else is like a caterpillar, whereas he is like a butterfly. How can a caterpillar know what it is like to fly?

Or everybody else is like a human, whereas he is like a vampire. How can a human understand what it is like to be a vampire?

Which brings up the interesting question, when he became enlightened, how did he know his other state-of-being was to be called "enlightenment". And not, for instance, "satori", "nirvana", "at-one-ness", "super-acidity", what have you? The original words from which the word "enlightenment" was created: "nirvana" or "nibbana" and "satori" etc have been lost for thousands of years, so how did McKenna arrive at this state and said "Ah, this is the state of 'enlightenment'". How did he know it was not a state of permanent foobarisment? In fact, he makes such strong and fine distinctions, that one wonders if there is a hidden school somewhere that maintains the old traditions: "That was spiritual awakening, not non-dualism, McKenna. Drop down and give me twenty! Now let's work on mystical one-ness for the next hour."

Anyway, beyond the question how he knows it was "enlightenment" and not one of a multitude of other words, the more interesting part is "so what next?"

Does McKenna have a philosophy he is going to teach? Absolutely. You see, it goes like this. All the world is a dream. It's like a movie. But the people acting in it are also watching it (or something... the distinction between acting and watching is so confused in McKenna's mind that only a butterfly or a vampire can possibly understand it apparently.) So basically McKenna would like to wake up all the other watchers in the theatre, so they can stop acting in the movie, and go on with their lives of acting in the movie. Or watching it. Whatever...

But wait, that confused rambling of McKenna's (apparently based upon everything from "Row, row, row your boat... Life is just a dream" to Plato's caves to the Hindu concept of Maya) is not the only philosophy he has. You see, he also has more serious philosophies and purpose. The purpose of his life is to "Kill time, until it kills me". There, enlightened enough for you?

Don't get me wrong. McKenna has clearly had some sort of a spiritual experience. But it is also obvious he chose not to derive any meaning from it. Or rather he chose to derive one of the shallowest of meanings: fixation on a particular word.

McKenna says life has no meaning. Yes, life has no meaning. And it has all the meaning. Life balances, and the opposite of zero is infinity. Life can have absolutely all the meaning you choose to ascribe to it. No less. And no more either. McKenna wonders about why "enlightenment" (or whatever) is supposed to be connected to euphoria and escatsy (he seems to thinks it's all a fake.) The real answer is simple. If you could really glimpse all the rides that life is (a metaphor he employs and actually even seems to vaguely grasp), why would you _not_ choose to take a brief and quick trip on the one-time-only ride labelled as "the pleasure-overload", before you get down to more serious and sustaining ones?

McKenna also seems to be good at getting lots of people to say his work is very good. Why not, it's a nice little bargain! He is defending his "enlightenment" strongly. So other spiritually-confused people can get a self-image boost at his coat-tails. It strongly enhances their self image to say the book is so good, because it validates their erudition to themselves; it convinces them that they are clearly "getting it", that they are close to being "enlightened" if not really fully so!

McKenna can defend his shtick of claiming rights to a particular word, very powerfully indeed. Yet all the powerful defending will not make it any more than what it is - a word, and a shtick.

More here: http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Enlight ... addOneStar

kind regards

Ben

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:19 am

Wow.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:23 am

:toilet:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:31 pm

I found this following quote of his to be pretty enlightening:

I like happiness as much as the next guy, but it's not happiness that sends one in search of truth.  It's rabid, feverish, clawing madness to stop being a lie, regardless of price, come heaven or hell.  This isn't about higher consciousness or self-discovery or heaven on earth.  This is about blood-caked swords and Buddha's rotting head and self-immolation, and anyone who says otherwise is selling something they don't have. :shock:

I would stay far, far away from this guy.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Aloka » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:59 pm

bodom wrote:I found this following quote of his to be pretty enlightening:

I like happiness as much as the next guy, but it's not happiness that sends one in search of truth.  It's rabid, feverish, clawing madness to stop being a lie, regardless of price, come heaven or hell.  This isn't about higher consciousness or self-discovery or heaven on earth.  This is about blood-caked swords and Buddha's rotting head and self-immolation, and anyone who says otherwise is selling something they don't have. :shock:

I would stay far, far away from this guy.

Eeek ! I agree, bodom.

:anjali:
Aloka

Postby bodom » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:12 pm

tiltbillings wrote:Wow.

:rofl:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Lounge