Dhammakaya meditation technique / organisation

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Dhammakaya meditation technique / organisation

Postby Darren_86 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:58 am

Dear All,

Recently, I've came across this organisation (Dharmakaya), that teaches the a combination of breathing, mantra and crystal ball as an meditation object.

Then, according to this website, http://www.buddhismaustralia.org/cults.htm

it seems that Dharmakaya was a branch of Buddhist Cults.

Anyone has any idea on this? They have a large following internationally as well
Darren_86

Re: Dhammakaya meditation technique / organisation

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:10 am

some people don't like them. most here would try to steer you away from them. however they are a part of the mahanikaya branch of thai theravada buddhism, so although their meditation technique is unorthodox from a theravada standpoint (although it's not odd at all from a mahayana/tantric POV) they are not so much a cult as an "odd" strain of mainstream Buddhism.

and from wikipedia

This meditation school formally belongs to the ancient Maha Nikaya tradition of Thai Theravada Buddhism., being correctly regarded as revivalist rather than a new movement or fundamentalist. It supposedly has many doctrinal elements to distinguish it from conventional Theravāda Buddhism[citation needed] and in some respects resembles schools of Mahāyāna Buddhism, has not been taken as heterodox by most Buddhists in the country. The Dhammakāya school of meditation is marked by its literal interpretation of Buddhist technical terms, (including the term dhammakāya) in their physical meaning, as described by Phramongkolthepmuni. Many sermons of Phramongkolthepmuni himself can be traced back to some schools of meditation in Southeast Asia preserved only in ancient meditation manuals.

The Dhammakāya Foundation has been subject to its share of controversy. In 1999 and again in 2002, leaders of the organization were accused of charges ranging from fraud and embezzlement to corruption. At that time social critic Sulak Sivaraksa has criticized the Dhammakaya Movement for promoting greed by emphasizing donations to the temple as a way to make merit. Widespread negative media coverage a this time was symptomatic of the movement being made the scapegoat for commercial malpractice in the Thai Buddhist temple community in the wake of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis.

In 2006 The Thai National Office for Buddhism cleared the Dhammakaya Foundation and Phrarajbhavanavisudh of all accusations when Phrarajbhavanavisudh agreed to return all the allegedly embezzled funds to name of his temple. Phrarajbhavanavisudh was subsequently restored to the position of abbot of Wat Phra Dhammakaya.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:24 am

Never had any contact with them myself but from what I have seen they do seam like the black sheep of the family so to speak, there are some threads on them here and JC's assessment does seam fair.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:27 am

http://www.dhammawheel.com/search.php
here is a search for them
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Ben » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:49 am

I remember when we were both posting on e-sangha, Ajahn had some words to say about Dhammakaya. From what Ajahn was saying it seemed like a dodgy organisation. One of the things that i remember him saying is that Dhammakaya organisation was very good in establishing itself in communities outside of Thailand and drawing on the financial and other support of ex-patriot Thais who don't have an alternative as a focus for cultural and spiritual activities.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:56 am

In Thailand they are generally considered to be a cult, most Thais I've spoken to don't like them at all, they've accumulated an incredible amount of wealth and seem to have a lot of control over their followers.

Their leader was in the courts a couple of years ago, I can't remember why or what the result was.

I heard from someone who had been on one of their retreats they were promising enlightenment within 7 days.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Darren_86 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:20 am

Yeap, thanks guys.

I went there few days ago, and dont think I want to visit them for a second time.

The whole thing of promoting and salesmaning Buddhism, the number of ppl you get to convert, the merits and these doesnt really sound like the Buddhism I am used to, eventhough they doesnt seem to do any harm.

However, the impression and teachings doesnt seem to be in accord with both Theravada and Mahayana teachings as well.

But anyway, thanks for this. At least now, I'm more convinced that what I thought might be right. :thanks:

Darren
Darren_86

Postby acinteyyo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:05 am

I read on theravadablog.de a report of Ajahn Martin Piyadhammo. A german bhikkhu living in Thailand for 15 years.
He said that Dhammakai (Dhammakaya) is a group whose mainpurpose is to sell the Dhamma. The thai-word kai among other things means "to sell". By the way it seems to me like a "camouflage-name". Dhammakai can have the meaning Dhamma-Body or Dhamma-Group but also Dhamma-for-sale. He further wrote they press money from the laity not unlikely the Scientology Church and that there would be witnesses. Some years ago the abbot of the Dhammakai has been charged of evasion of funds and misgovernment or mismanagement (I don't know the right english translation). The book "Nirvana for Sale" is about the Dhammakaya. According to the book the abbot had been sent into prison but later has been released on bail for 2 million bath.
I would be careful.
best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Return to Lounge