New Books!!!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

New Books!!!

Postby bodom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:07 pm

Well its that time of year again, yes, income tax time! I have quite a bit of extra money to go book shopping with and i think i have narrowed down a pretty good list. I am going to be ordering from Pariyatti, BPS's north american dealer. Heres my shopping cart so far:

Treatise on the Paramis - Bhikkhu Bodhi
A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma - Bhikkhu Bodhi
The Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering - B.B
Manual of the Excellent Man - Ledi Sayadaw
Discourse on the All-Embracing Net of Views: The Brahmajala Sutta and its Commentaries - B.B
Analysis of Perfections - ven. rerukane chandavimala

Heres my list as of now. Is there any recommendations that absolutely should be on my list? Thanks!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: New Books!!!

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:15 pm

Greetings Bodom,

Have you got Bhikkhu Nanananda's books, "Concept and Reality" and "Magic Of The Mind"?

If not, they should absolutely be on your list!

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Sekha » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:17 pm

perhaps Manuals of Dhamma, Ledi Sayadaw

metta
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org
Sekha

Postby bodom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:22 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Bodom,

Have you got Bhikkhu Nanananda's books, "Concept and Reality" and "Magic Of The Mind"?

If not, they should absolutely be on your list!

Metta,

Retro yes i was considering concept and reality and even thought of you when i seen it lol. I know how highly you think of Bhikkhu Nanananda's works. Its going on my list now thanks!

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:46 pm

Dukkhanirodha wrote:perhaps Manuals of Dhamma, Ledi Sayadaw

metta

Its out of stock! Im waiting for it on back order now, but they have quite a few of his titles I would like to get. Thanks!

bodom

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:09 am

Hi Bodom

bodom wrote:
Dukkhanirodha wrote:perhaps Manuals of Dhamma, Ledi Sayadaw

metta

Its out of stock! Im waiting for it on back order now, but they have quite a few of his titles I would like to get. Thanks!

Some of Ledi Sayadaw's, but not all, of his works are published under 'Manuals of Dhamma'.
Look around at some of the online bookstores for it. If its out of stock at Amazon - try Pariyatti (www.pariyatti.org) or Dhamma Books in Australia www.dhammabooks.com
Its worth getting.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:16 am

bodom wrote:A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma - Bhikkhu Bodhi - Excellent choice
The Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering - B.B - Save you money as you can get the fulltext of this online at accesstoinsight
Manual of the Excellent Man - Ledi Sayadaw - Excellent choice
Heres my list as of now. Is there any recommendations that absolutely should be on my list? Thanks!
- Majjhima Nikaya: Bodhi & Narada trans.
Samyutta Nikaya - Bodhi trans
Digha Nikaya - Walsh
Udana and Itivitaka - J Ireland trans

metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 am

Ben wrote:
bodom wrote:A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma - Bhikkhu Bodhi - Excellent choice
The Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering - B.B - Save you money as you can get the fulltext of this online at accesstoinsight
Manual of the Excellent Man - Ledi Sayadaw - Excellent choice
- Majjhima Nikaya: Bodhi & Narada trans.
Samyutta Nikaya - Bodhi trans
Digha Nikaya - Walsh
Udana and Itivitaka - J Ireland trans

And don't forget the commentaries!!

-- Visuddhimagga
-- Vimuttimagga

metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:02 am

Vimuttimagga

i wish this was still available from BPS, i'd throw it on my bday wishlist
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Moggalana » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 am

A couple of Ledi Sayadaw's book are available online on Bhikkhu Pesala's website: http://aimwell.org/Books/books.html
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby appicchato » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 am

Manual of the Excellent Man - Ledi Sayadaw...is online at the link above...
appicchato

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Thank you Ben for your feedback. While I already own all of the Bodhi, Walsh and Ireland translation's I would like to add the Visuddhimagga and Vimuttimagga to my library. Unfortunately I cant find a copy of the latter. BPS and Pariyati are both out.

bodom

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Moggalana wrote:A couple of Ledi Sayadaw's book are available online on Bhikkhu Pesala's website: http://aimwell.org/Books/books.html

Thank you for the link. While its true i could probably read most of the titles I'm ordering online, I would much rather have them in book form.

bodom

Postby Moggalana » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:37 pm

bodom wrote:
Moggalana wrote:A couple of Ledi Sayadaw's book are available online on Bhikkhu Pesala's website: http://aimwell.org/Books/books.html

Thank you for the link. While its true i could probably read most of the titles I'm ordering online, I would much rather have them in book form.

Very understandable. I don't like reading on a screen either.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Well I was informed yesterday by the post office that my books have been misplaced. The mail carrier was to have dropped them off but never brought them to my door and instead gave me a note saying she missed me (when i was home ) and that i had to pick them up at the post office. Well i go to get them and they tell me my books are misplaced! This is my package with A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma - Bhikkhu Bodhi, Manual of the Excellent Man - Ledi Sayadaw and Vissudhimagga in it! $166 dollars in books. I am sure learning patience right now and about attachment and expectations.

bodom

Postby appicchato » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:44 pm

bodom wrote:I am sure learning patience right now and about attachment and expectations.

Cheap at twice the price...as an aside, the note puts the onus on them (the PO)...it means they had them at some point...good luck... :reading:
appicchato

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 pm

appicchato wrote:
bodom wrote:I am sure learning patience right now and about attachment and expectations.

Cheap at twice the price...as an aside, the note puts the onus on them (the PO)...it means they had them at some point...good luck... :reading:

Thank you Bhante. I put in a complaint with the postal service so we'll see what happens.

bodom

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Greetings,

I have some missing books in transit as well at the moment... alas, I never got a card.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I have some missing books in transit as well at the moment... alas, I never got a card.

Metta,

It is very frustrating. All I can do is sit and wait. This whole situation is driving home the first noble truth very poignantly. Hope you get yours as well retro.

bodom

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Greetings Bodom,

bodom wrote:This whole situation is driving home the first noble truth very poignantly. Hope you get yours as well retro.

What, my books or the lesson on the first couple of Noble Truths? ;)

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Next

Return to Lounge