Curious Print on Book

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Curious Print on Book

Postby theravada_guy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:09 am

Greetings all,

I have a book from WAVE and on the back, in the upper right corner it says 'For Non Muslims Only'. What is the purpose of this? I mean, I know what the phrase means, but why is it on the back of the book?
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Re: Curious Print on Book

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:20 am

Greetings Justin,

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of ... n_Malaysia

Proselytizing of Muslims by members of other religions is not technically prohibited by federal law, even though Muslims may proselytize. It is however prohibited in 10 of the 13 states (i.e. excepting Penang, Sabah, Sarawak and the Federal Territories) and can lead to lengthy jail sentences and many strokes of the rotan (whipping). Most Christian and a few other religious groups in Malaysia put a standard disclaimer on literature and advertisements stating "For non-Muslims only". In a recent case nine Christians were arrested on charges of wanting to convert some Muslim students at the University Putra Malaysia in Serdang, near Kuala Lumpur.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby theravada_guy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:35 am

Retro,

Oh, okay. I understand now. Thanks!
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:10 pm

very good!... beware of the muslims :spy:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Return to Lounge