Operation "Smiling Buddha", an insult

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Operation "Smiling Buddha", an insult

Postby Mawkish1983 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Hello all,

As my research involves nuclear reactors I found myself bumping into this website by accident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiling_Buddha

I didn't read it all, but for those who don't know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiling_Buddha wrote:The Smiling Buddha was the first nuclear test explosion by India on May 18, 1974 at Pokhran. It was also the first confirmed nuclear test by a nation outside the permanent five members of the United Nations Security Council having been developed and executed with no foreign help or assistance.

Does anyone else think it was extremely distasteful to name an operation in which a weapon capable of so much destruction and death was tested after the most peaceful teacher the world has ever known? Whether nuclear weaponry is a "deterrent" or a "weapon" is really a matter of semantics. The fact is that this device is designed to kill on an enormous scale, and for this test to be named thusly I think is a deep insult.
Mawkish1983

Re: Operation "Smiling Buddha", an insult

Postby genkaku » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Yup, pretty icky, I agree. But let me see ....

Department of Defense: Didn't that used to be the more comprehensible War Department?

Human Resources: Didn't that used to be Personnel back when employees were considered people and not spark plugs or crescent wrenches?

And the most insulting of all (chocolate alert!) is the chocolate-looking cake that tastes like reconstituted cardboard and sugar.

And then there's always Enlightenment ... but we won't go there. :)
genkaku

Re: Operation "Smiling Buddha", an insult

Postby bodom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Yeah you wouldnt find them naming one after jesus.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Lounge