Sri Lanka

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Sri Lanka

Postby Perry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:00 am

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here, hope you have all been well.

I've been seriously considering visiting Sri Lanka at some point in the near future, it seems perfect for me in many ways, those being; visiting a country that is majority Theravada Buddhist, seeing an Asian country (Asia has always fascinated me since childhood), great culture and history, picturesque in many places and (hey I am a young man after all!) great places to just lay back and do nothing! Rolled into one it's a very attractive place for me to visit!

I'd assume that many of you have been. What did you think? Anything to recommend or warn? Anywhere you can think of that does cheap(ish) flights and accommodation? Hey, why not just make this a general Sri Lanka thread (and sorry if something like this has already been done).

Thanks a lot!
Perry

Re: Sri Lanka

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:03 am

Greetings Perry,

Have you seen this?

Sacred Island: A Buddhist Pilgrim's Guide to Sri Lanka
http://www.buddhanet.net/sacred-island/index.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:34 am

Hi Perry

Keep in mind that Sri Lanka has just come out of a bloody 20-year civil war, mainly in the North of the country.
Read your government's travel advice for Sri Lanka.
Since you are going to go to a country where access to the Theravada is relatively easy, take the opportunity to attend some retreats. If you miss the opportunity you're bound to regret it afterwards.
metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby willp » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:47 am

Hi. All I can say is GO! It's a beautiful country with warm, friendly people, plenty of clean and moderately priced accommodation, and great spicy food. Be warned though, it is a poor country emerging from civil war and if you have never been somewhere like this you may be shocked by the poverty and suffering of some people. GO!
willp

Postby Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Perry,

Have you seen this?

Sacred Island: A Buddhist Pilgrim's Guide to Sri Lanka
http://www.buddhanet.net/sacred-island/index.html

Metta,
Retro. :)

Morning,

Excellent site, thankyou :)

Ben wrote:Hi Perry

Keep in mind that Sri Lanka has just come out of a bloody 20-year civil war, mainly in the North of the country.
Read your government's travel advice for Sri Lanka.
Since you are going to go to a country where access to the Theravada is relatively easy, take the opportunity to attend some retreats. If you miss the opportunity you're bound to regret it afterwards.
metta

Ben

Hey Ben, this is something I would be wary of, but I've read that traffic accidents are probably a bigger concern than terrorism. I would remain careful of course, though.

Thanks very much.

willp wrote:Hi. All I can say is GO! It's a beautiful country with warm, friendly people, plenty of clean and moderately priced accommodation, and great spicy food. Be warned though, it is a poor country emerging from civil war and if you have never been somewhere like this you may be shocked by the poverty and suffering of some people. GO!

Hi. I understand what you mean, and thanks for this :)

I got a guidebook on Sri Lanka, a travellers introduction to Sinhala and the novel Reef by Romesh Gunesekera ordered on recommendation and hopefully they will arrive soon.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? I was hoping for someone with a lot of Buddhist history and temples nearby, but also relatively close to a beach of some description. Thanks.
Perry

Return to Lounge