Peace Bringing Music/Peaceful Music

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Peace Bringing Music/Peaceful Music

Postby T.J. Johnston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Where is the Love - Black Eyed Peas
Join with us - The Feeling
We didn't start the fire (kind of) - Billy Joel (aka 'The Piano Man')

Go. :sage: :meditate: :yingyang:
Whoo!
T.J. Johnston

Re: Peace Bringing Music/Peaceful Music

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Billy Joel is cool. He wrote a hit song about a little city in Pennsylvania I used to live in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allentown_(song)

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Kenshou » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Most anything by Cocteau Twins relaxes the hell outta' me. I could practically meditate while playing Blue Bell Knoll if it just didn't get stuck in my head and throw off the meditation-groove.
:computerproblem:

Sort-of-relatedly but not quite music, there's a website that plays a looping recording of a rainstorm that I sometimes put on if there's just too much commotion in the rooms around me when trying to meditate. Sets up a nice relaxing platform of atmosphere from which the mind can draw inward. http://www.rainymood.com/
Kenshou

Postby Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:54 am

The album Future Days by Can can be very peaceful.

Made In Heaven, a retrospective album by Queen featuring the last music performed by Freddie Mercury, mere months before his death, is a very calming album too, with wonderfully crafted music full of hope and joy, and by a man in the advanced stage of a terminal illness.

The album is also ended by a 23-minute "hidden track", a beautiful instrumental that guitarist Brian May once referred to as "a musical ascent into heaven".

Here is a shortened, nine-minute version with a wonderful video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DHTUUNrQWY
Perry

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 am

Greetings T.J.,

T.J. Johnston wrote:Where is the Love - Black Eyed Peas

Golly... you have a different concept of "peaceful music" to me.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby zavk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:39 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings T.J.,

T.J. Johnston wrote:Where is the Love - Black Eyed Peas

Golly... you have a different concept of "peaceful music" to me.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Heh..... :)

I supposed we could make a distinction between 'music/songs about peace' and 'music/songs that have a peaceful vibe or calming effect'.

It would be fairly easy to identify and reach a certain consensus about the former--the lyrics and themes of the songs can be easily identified.

As for the latter category, well, it's a lot more subjective I suppose.

So for me, some examples of 'music/songs that have a calming/peaceful effect' would be:

- Charles Spearin's 'The Happiness Project' where he recorded the conversations he had with his friends and family about the theme of 'happiness' and then laid music over the natural cadence of the spoken voice. Apparently, Charles Spearin is Buddhist and this project was inspired by his experience of long silent retreats.

Buddhist practice puts emphasis on analyzing the nature of one’s own awareness and experience through study, contemplation and meditation, and often includes long periods of silence and reflection. Returning home to ordinary life and ordinary conversation after extended periods of quiet is what brought Spearin’s attention to what would be the focus of this new album: The natural, unselfconscious, music of speech. By replicating the rising and falling of the recorded voices on different instruments Spearin, in true Buddhist form, attempts to illuminate some of the beauty of ordinary life.

http://www.happiness-project.ca/about.php

- I also find Brian Eno's generative music app for the iPhone, Bloom, to have the same calming effect. You can either create or let it auto-generate evolving ambient sounds and electronic beeps. The ever changing soundscape seems to lull me into a state of calm, if not mindfulness.

Perry: I see you are a Queen fan. I've been listening to Queen a lot recently. :)
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby christopher::: » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:14 am

Responses to music are indeed extremely subjective. I still love this guy...

"Stella Blue"
Words by Robert Hunter; music by Jerry Garcia

All the years combine
they melt into a dream
A broken angel sings
from a guitar

In the end there's just a song
comes crying like the wind
through all the broken dreams
and vanished years
Stella Blue

When all the cards are down
there's nothing left to see
There's just the pavement left
and broken dreams

In the end there's still that song
comes crying like the wind
down every lonely street
that's ever been
Stella Blue

I've stayed in every blue-light cheap hotel
Can't win for trying
Dust off those rusty strings just
one more time
Gonna make em shine

It all rolls into one
and nothing comes for free
There's nothing you can hold
for very long

And when you hear that song
come crying like the wind
it seems like all this life
was just a dream

Stella Blue

:heart:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 am

Bunch of hippies! :tongue:

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby christopher::: » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:26 am

bodom wrote:Bunch of hippies! :tongue:

Proudly.

:hug:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby Perry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 pm

zavk wrote:Perry: I see you are a Queen fan. I've been listening to Queen a lot recently. :)

I am indeed, and have been since early childhood. They face a lot of criticism for being pretentious, tasteless and bombastic, but I feel they have produced wonderfully crafted, insightful and sometimes beautiful music, too. They were just very clever with separating bombast and insight, and knowing which of the two to push at the masses. :)
Perry

Return to Lounge