[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - Tiger Woods promises to be a better Buddhist

Tiger Woods promises to be a better Buddhist

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Tiger Woods promises to be a better Buddhist

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 pm

At the 10:05 to 10:50 minute mark.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Tiger Woods promises to be a better Buddhist

Postby bodom » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 pm

Good for him. I wish him all the very best in the future.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:44 am

Dag nabit!
Blocked in this country (Australia) on copyright grounds!
B
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 am

Easy Ben...it's all over the net...(if one is interested, that is...)... :smile:
appicchato

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:05 am

Here's one that works outside the empire...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc02ZEPJuF8

Hmm,but it doesn't have the Better Buddhist bit...

Mike
Last edited by mikenz66 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:07 am

Thank you gentlemen!
Though I am sure one could predict the content of Mr Wood's 'apology'
kind regards

Ben

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Ben
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:10 am

Here's something to read if you don't like to bother with video...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/02/19/what ... ger-woods/
What can Buddhism teach Tiger Woods?
Woods says his redemption includes going back to his Buddhist roots

The one detail Tiger did want to share with the public is that his quest for redemption will follow the long American tradition of including a spiritual component. “Part of following this path for me is Buddhism, which my mother taught me at a young age,” he said. “People probably don’t realize it, but I was raised a Buddhist, and I actively practiced my faith from childhood until I drifted away from it in recent years. Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint.”

Mike
mikenz66

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 am

mikenz66 wrote:Here's something to read if you don't like to bother with video...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/02/19/what ... ger-woods/
What can Buddhism teach Tiger Woods?
Woods says his redemption includes going back to his Buddhist roots

The one detail Tiger did want to share with the public is that his quest for redemption will follow the long American tradition of including a spiritual component. “Part of following this path for me is Buddhism, which my mother taught me at a young age,” he said. “People probably don’t realize it, but I was raised a Buddhist, and I actively practiced my faith from childhood until I drifted away from it in recent years. Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint.”

Mike

That's some great advertising for the Dharma there!

Sort of implies that Buddhism helped him to become the great player that he is, but that by "drifting away from it" he got into trouble. His statement that "Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint." is nice and to the point.

Best wishes for his return to the path! :console:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 am

Hmm, this 2007 list of Celebrity Buddhists is now a little ironic...

http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practi ... uddhists/2
1. Tiger Woods (5,850,000 hits)

Yes, with close to six million hits on Google he’s bigger than Richard Gere, more popular even than the Dalai Lama. Maybe even God. But then one prophet did foretell, “Tiger will do more than any other man in history to change the course of humanity … He is the Chosen One.” (That was Earl, Tiger’s dad). And another seer spake thus: “He can hold everyone together. He is the Universal Child.” (Yes, that was Koltida, his mom).

And in case you think that quasi-religious adoration of Tiger is limited to his doting parents, here’s Michael Jordan’s take: “I really do believe he was put here for a bigger reason than just to play golf. I don’t think that he is a god, but I do believe that he was sent by one.”

Despite these accolades, we’re not entirely sure whether to regard Tiger as a Buddhist. He’s said, “I believe in Buddhism … not every aspect, but most of it. So I take bits and pieces,” which could make him sounds like a dilettante, but then even the Dalai Lama has expressed similar sentiments so we’re giving Tiger the benefit of the doubt.

Woods has also said, “I don’t practice Buddhism on a day-to-day basis, just when I feel like it.” So on the bad side he’s not a consistent practitioner, while on the good side he does practice. Again, that counts him in. That practice and background (mom Koltida is a Thai Buddhist) have helped Tiger become the almost inscrutably equanimous player he’s become: “Buddhism has been a major role in my life. It has given me an inner peace and calmness that I think I wouldn’t have achieved at such an early age.”

In 1996 Tiger and his father launched the Tiger Woods Foundation, which through personal enrichment programs, scholarships, direct grants, junior golf teams and the new Tiger Woods Learning Center, is helping millions of children reach their dreams. Tiger takes his status as a youth role model seriously: “I am not trying to preach to them that this is ‘a sport for you.’ I’m saying, ‘This is an opportunity for you to grow as a person.’ I think that is what really matters.”

So there we have it. Tiger Woods — Guru of Golf, Zen master of the fairway, first prophet of putting, dare we say even “demigod of the green” — is the world’s most famous celebrity Buddhist. More power to your putting, Tiger — and to your practice.
mikenz66

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks Mike for that interesting article exerpt.
I have to say, most 'celebrity' Buddhists give me the heebee geebies.
Though I do wish him well with reconnecting with the path.
kind regards

Ben

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:40 am

Ben wrote:I have to say, most 'celebrity' Buddhists give me the heebee geebies.

Yes, though the Dalai Lama, Richard Gere, and Leonard Cohen aren't too shabby...

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby salmon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:34 am

A little trivia...I have heard that Tiger Woods is Theravada Buddhist as his mother is Thai. Friends from Thailand tell me that he used to do private meditation retreats before big tournaments (no wonder the samadhi during games!!). And he carries a Luang Por Thuad pendant with him.
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
salmon

Postby PeterB » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:09 pm

There but for the Grace of something go I. Hopefully he will have learned to be more mindful with his niblick.
PeterB

Postby christopher::: » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:05 am

Dalai Lama says faith can bring Woods discipline

"Whether you call it Buddhism or another religion, self-discipline, that's important," he said. "Self-discipline with awareness of consequences."
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby Fede » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:28 am

I'm sorry...am I the only one who found it stomach-churningly contrived, orchestrated, scripted and utterly false?
I watched it. Twice.
I found the transcript.
And read that.
Twice, as well.
I couldn't get past it.
I tried, I really tried, but it smacked of a complete and total PR publicity stunt.
It left a nasty taste in my mouth, and I really wondered as much about the media role in this, and the fact that 'famous people' are rare nowadays, but celebrities are two a penny.

I'm sorry.
I just hate this typically American "reach out and feel my sincerity" treacle-laden cr*p.
It's trite, superficial and so utterly, utterly...."Hollywood".

You really want my opinion?

Who cares?

The angle he should be working on, is to keep his "recovery" private, personal and within 4 walls, with the people whom he states are really important to him.
Airing this in public, is simply a continued public display of dirty laundry...
Jeesh! Shaddup and work on it, but don't court publicity and go for even more media exposure!

Buddhist?
Oh really?
Wouldn't the greater 'Buddhist' thing to do, have been to maintain your silence and dignity?
Isn't Right Speech also knowing when to keep your yap shut?
That speech was about 9-and-a-half minutes too long.
And dignified?
Er.....

No.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby PeterB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:45 am

I actually find the Dalai Lama commenting on the case even more distasteful than Wood's behaviour.
PeterB

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 am

hi Peter
Well, its likely that someone asked His Holiness about Woods and thus the reported sound-bite.
My impression with Venerable's comment is that it is reasonable and very thought provoking.

I understand Fede's distate of the orchestrated media event but, perhaps its just me, I don;t think sincerity and an orchestrated apology media event are mutually exclusive. I just don't understand the fascination with other people's lives. And the whole Tiger Woods saga seemed to me to be about activating many people's sense of schaudenfreude. Surely there are more important things that demand our attention, like Haiti, Burma, the situation in Uganda or so many other god-forsaken countries, or for that matter...one's loved ones.
kind regards

Ben

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:54 am

I agree that there are any number of things that deserve our attention more than the shenanigans of Mr Woods, Ben.
I also think that perhaps someone should whisper in the Dalai Lama's ear about the danger of his fitting the stereotype of the " Gucci-slippered monk" as Ruprt Murdoch dubbed him, by providing "Hello" magazine type soundbites.

Metta,
Peter.
PeterB

Postby Aloka » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 am

Fede = You really want my opinion?

Who cares?

Ben = Surely there are more important things that demand our attention,

Exactly. Personally I find the celebrity gossip machine and media circus unworthy of much comment. There are far more worthwhile things to do.....such as just about anything ! :)
Aloka

Postby appicchato » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:33 am

I actually find the Dalai Lama commenting on the case even more distasteful than Wood's behaviour.

He was asked a question...other than Noble Silence (which, in these times, would, most probably, have caused a lot of raised eyebrows, and thereby, possibly, creating more wierdity (sic))...what was he to do?...
appicchato

Next

Return to Lounge