Tiger Woods promises to be a better Buddhist

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Tiger Woods promises to be a better Buddhist

Postby PeterB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Given Bhante, that we were told that the situation had to be explained to him, Noble Silence may well have been his best option. After all I dont suppose that the waiting millions assumed that the Dalai Lama would be, or should be, au fait with the lifestyle of a philandering celeb golfer. I suspect that if Woods had been a Catholic the Pope would be far too canny to get drawn into a discussion concerning an Individual believer. I think he would have replied that he cant talk about individual and unresoved cases, and would have right to so do.

:anjali:
PeterB

Postby adeh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:14 pm

I agree with Fede. I also found the whole thing contrived, nauseating and very "gringo". The only people he should have been apologizing too was his wife and children, and in private at that. Why don't we ever see people that have truly done evil things publicly begging the world's forgiveness, like Bush for example?
adeh

Postby christopher::: » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:21 pm

adeh wrote:Why don't we ever see people that have truly done evil things publicly begging the world's forgiveness, like Bush for example?

Indeed.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Typically american? Hollywood? Gringo? Stereotyping maybe?

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 pm

I would say Tiger Woods, George Bush, typical american's and gringo's are as deserving of kindness and compassion as anyone else.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Annapurna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Agree, Bodom. :)

Thank you also, Venerables Pannasikkhara and Appichato, for your considerate and compassionate contributions.

I too wish Tiger Woods a safe return to his Path, a stable practice, and a happy future for him, his loved ones, and the ones he is supporting with the fruit of his work.

May he and his be free of suffering and always know how to achieve that.

Shanti
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:47 pm

adeh wrote:I agree with Fede. I also found the whole thing contrived, nauseating and very "gringo". The only people he should have been apologizing too was his wife and children, and in private at that.

Hello, Adeh,

I already said it in another Forum as well.

If a public person's private life is made public, if he is exposed and shamed, then it is a very understandable wish, to say something about it as well, after so many others have had their say before.

When people lose their face, they wish to regain it, and his speech was an attempt to get a part of his image back. An image which doesn't only secure his family's income, and that of employees, but also that of non profit enterprises he has founded for the less lucky ones of us.

This attempt is very understandable, and very forgivable, actually, it's normal.

If I imagine that I would need to make a statement to the world, I would feel utterly shamed, so I would probably come across awkward, tense and stiff.

People who'd watch me might get the impression I am a fake, not genuine, dishonest, because my body language would be too controlled to appear natural and relaxed.

I'd be apprehensive, because I would know that all the professional fault seekers will anal.ize me to death.

So, if he is being criticized for saying something about his affairs, it would only be fair if all the others who dragged his private shortcomings into the spotlight are getting some criticism as well.

But would it be right speech? What's gained by denigrating another?

The Buddha said:

(Katthavattu suttha)http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.067.than.html

Those who discuss when angered, dogmatic, arrogant, following what's not the noble ones' way, seeking to expose each other's faults, delight in each other's misspoken word, slip, stumble, defeat. Noble ones don't speak in that way.

With metta,

Annapurna
Annapurna

Postby PeterB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:07 pm

But with a whole host of other possible topics to comment on, arent you continuing to " expose his faults" Anna ? Havent we ALL got better things to do than either defend or attack celebs and celeb culture.
It seems to me the Buddhist thing to do would be for us all to shut up about the issue. Lets face it the only reason its being discussed here is because the Dalai Lama didnt see the brick coming.
PeterB

Postby Annapurna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:54 pm

PeterB wrote:But with a whole host of other possible topics to comment on, arent you continuing to " expose his faults" Anna ? Havent we ALL got better things to do than either defend or attack celebs and celeb culture.
It seems to me the Buddhist thing to do would be for us all to shut up about the issue. Lets face it the only reason its being discussed here is because the Dalai Lama didnt see the brick coming.

I don't understand, Peter:

But with a whole host of other possible topics to comment on, arent you continuing to " expose his faults" Anna ?

Havent we ALL got better things to do than either defend or attack celebs and celeb culture.

Yes, and I wouldn't even want to create a difference between celebs and "ordinary" people, if you ask me. Flesh and bones, my dear---we all suffer the same...

And what is better, to be the hammer or the nail?

The attacker or the defender?

It seems to me the Buddhist thing to do would be for us all to shut up about the issue.

Perhaps so... :smile:

Lets face it the only reason its being discussed here is because the Dalai Lama didnt see the brick coming.

He was hit by a brick???

:smile:

I'm kidding; Peter. I read something in one of the posts, but --makes no sense.

I actually see no brick, and nobody who got hit....did I miss something?

Hm... :thinking:

Best wishes, friend.

Metta,

Anna
Annapurna

Postby PeterB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Obviously I wasnt being literal Anna... :smile:

Personally I feel uncomfortable about this discussion. We all know that some men are stupid when it comes to certain temptations. I am not sure what we can learn from the discussions. I dont know if Woods was really repentant or not.

P.
PeterB

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:42 pm

PeterB wrote:I am not sure what we can learn from the discussions.

1. Extending loving-kindness and compassion to Tiger Woods and his family.
2. Appreciation to Tiger for mentioning the Buddhist path and that he had strayed away from it, but wants to return to it.
3. The realization that money and fame does not buy happiness.
4. The realization that celebrities are not that different from the rest of us.
5. That celebrities and the rich are capable of much suffering.
6. That celebrities and the rich are in just as much need for receiving kindness and compassion.
7. To learn from their mistakes and not do them.

Some (many?) may already know these points, for others, a good reminder never hurts. :smile:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:52 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:

2. Appreciation to Tiger for mentioning the Buddhist path and that he had strayed away from it, but wants to return to it.
6. That celebrities and the rich are in just as much need for receiving kindness and compassion.

Some (many?) may already know these points, for others, a good reminder never hurts. :smile:

:goodpost:

bodom

Postby PeterB » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Yes I suppose you are right David. Its all just a bit......
PeterB

Postby Annapurna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:05 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:

:thumbsup:

8. To believe in them, their good will, as clouded Buddhas, struggling in so many ways for liberation, despite all the detours and sidealleys. :anjali:
Annapurna

Postby christopher::: » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:39 am

Good observations, David. If anything, Woods (and HHDL) may have injected a bit of sanity (dharma?) into what has become a far too common American media scenario, the building up and tearing down of "celebrities" thru the exposure of their personal shortcomings and private lives...

Somewhat related:

Ethics in Journalism and the Clinton-Lewinsky Scandal

Many journalists devoured every element of the scandal and regurgitated it to the public, often leaving out the names of sources, or at best, reporting with an air of ambiguity concerning anonymous sources. For example, in “Where We Went Wrong” Jules Witcover states, “Into the vacuum created by a scarcity of clear and credible attribution raced all manner of rumor, gossip, and especially, hollow sourcing, making the reports of some mainstream outlets scarcely distinguishable from supermarket tabloids.” Thus, many journalists strayed from ethical codes as they delivered constant news-- more appropriately defined as “infotainment”--feeding the public’s apparent desire for news surrounding the scandal that rocked the nation. In the process, overall good journalism, as well as inherent journalistic ethics, were submerged as unethical practices were perpetuated.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby Monkey Mind » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 am

I don't know why I feel the need to defend HHDL's honor, but I saw this elsewhere. I think it is interesting, Mr. Wood's mother was a Thai Buddhist practitioner, so of course the Dalai Lama would have an opinion... ???
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20346109,00.html
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby Annapurna » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:20 am

Right on, monkey mind. :anjali:

appicchato wrote:
I actually find the Dalai Lama commenting on the case even more distasteful than Wood's behaviour.

He was asked a question...other than Noble Silence (which, in these times, would, most probably, have caused a lot of raised eyebrows, and thereby, possibly, creating more wierdity (sic))...what was he to do?...

Right.

In case people didn't click on Chris link, here it is:

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – The Dalai Lama commented on Tiger Woods' sex scandals Saturday, saying self-discipline is among Buddhism's highest values, one day after Woods said he had strayed from his Buddhist faith.

Tibet's exiled spiritual leader told The Associated Press during a brief interview in his hotel suite in Beverly Hills that he had not heard of Woods, but when the circumstances were explained to him he said that when it comes to adultery, "all religions have the same idea."

"Whether you call it Buddhism or another religion, self-discipline, that's important," he said. "Self-discipline with awareness of consequences."

In his first public comments since the Nov. 27 car accident that set off a series of shocking allegations of rampant extramarital relationships, Woods said Friday that he was raised Buddhist but needed to focus anew on finding balance between his religion and professional life.

The Dalai Lama made the remarks while in the Los Angeles area to support Whole Child International, an organization that advocates better care for orphans worldwide.

He got asked a question, and there is no reason why he should not reply. Think about it for days and then hold a press conference, or remain silent?

THAT would be odd.

Plus, there is nothing wrong with his statement...

With metta,

Annapurna
Annapurna

Previous

Return to Lounge