Ajahn Chah books

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Ajahn Chah books

Postby jackson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Hey everyone,
I currently own only one Ajahn Chah book, "Food for the Heart", but I'm interested in getting more of his teachings. The thing is though that "Food for the heart" has the subtitle "The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah", so I was under the impression that this might be a complete collection in itself. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has the books "Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away", or "Being Dhamma: The Essence of the Buddha's Teachings" and if they are indeed different talks from the ones in "Food for the Heart", or if I'd just be buying the same talks in a different book. Thanks!
Metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
jackson

Re: Ajahn Chah books

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:28 pm

You can find some more on Access to Insight
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:51 pm

If you're willing to print it yourself you can get a collected volume that, as I understand it, contains almost everything from all the translated collections:
http://ajahnchah.org/
Right now the site isn't working too well for me, so I can't be more specific...

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby bodom » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Everything arises falls away is basically just short excepts from talks given by Chah that are already included in Food for the Heart. There's not a whole lot of new material. Same goes for Being Dharma.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby jackson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks for your replies!
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
jackson

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Greetings Jackson,

This is the direct link to the PDF file Mike was referring to.

http://www.ajahnchah.org/pdf/the_teachi ... ah_web.pdf

Very good it is too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:46 am

Always worth remembering I think that Laung Por Chah did not write books, and he was ambivilent at best about books. What is available are transcriptions of talks and conversations delivered extempore. and that to extrapolate a fixed view on any given subject is problematic. They were time. place, and person, specific.

PeterB

Postby jackson » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 pm

PeterB wrote:Always worth remembering I think that Laung Por Chah did not write books, and he was ambivilent at best about books. What is available are transcriptions of talks and conversations delivered extempore. and that to extrapolate a fixed view on any given subject is problematic. They were time. place, and person, specific.

Yes, that is very true. Sometimes I read his talks and they are so inspiring because of how much effort he talks about putting into the practice, but then I realize that it's pretty much impossible to do as a layperson. Still though, I can't help but marvel at his teachings, I rank them as among the finest talks I've ever read or heard, they're so straight to the point and simple and yet very deep, and I always delight when I hear one of his students tell a story about him, because they always show his great wisdom. On the topic of his attitude towards books, an interesting story I heard from one of Ajahn Viradhammo's talks was that Ajahn Chah told him to not read a book for five years! I get the impression that Ajahn Chah was not so much against books but that he felt westerners in particular depended too much on intellectual understanding and not enough upon the practice, or "reading their minds", as Ajahn Chah would say.
Jackson
jackson

Postby Northernbuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Thank you all so much. I downloaded "the teachings" and am having a great time reading it.
But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7
Northernbuck

Postby bodom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Ajahn Chah :anjali: :bow: :anjali: :bow: :anjali: :bow:

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby PeterB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:17 am

At Chithurst there is a small eclectic collection of books that regulars can borrow. It used to reside in a small book case in the shrine room. Before a planned visit from Laung Por Chah, Ajahn Sumedho pointed to it and said with a grin " I thought about hiding it ! ".
PeterB

Return to Lounge