Is this what America had become?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Is this what America had become?

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:06 am

Hello, all!
I have come across a couple things that have left me upset. I am not going to vent, just share and hope that positive change is on the way. I watch alot of The Young Turks on YouTube. I like them and their views alot. This is one of the stories that they have run today that has left me very sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwiKGjM5tHU

Here are two more vids from them that I feel I should share for those on the forum that live in America and have kids. This is concerning the new textbooks that Texas schools will have and that might make their way to the rest of the country. My heart is cold with fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ivyj3AKP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OogjGxPTXcs

:anjali:
Thaibebop

Re: Is this what America had become?

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:17 am

Wow, I just saw the title, please forgive my poor english.
Thaibebop

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:32 am

Attachments
largeimagebs100317[1].gif
largeimagebs100317[1].gif (91.61 KiB) Viewed 663 times
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Thaibebop » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:24 pm

tiltbillings wrote:.

I want to laugh, but feel too bad about it. Texas. :cookoo:
Thaibebop

Postby alan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Yes, this is what America has become. Actually, America has always been full of idiots and right-wing loons. From time to time the forces of good have had their day, but it has always been a struggle.
Given the fact that our media is controlled by corporate interests, and the political discourse is dominated by lying liars and the lies they tell, it does not come as a surprise that Texas, perhaps the dumbest of the states, is leading the way towards intellectual decline.
Although there are still some smart people in the U.S., I'd argue that the American dream is over. Greed, Hatred and Delusion rule the day.
alan

Postby meindzai » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:56 pm

This is Texas' advertising slogan - no lie - I have heard it before and found this on a tourism web site:

And I tend to think of it that way...

-M
meindzai

Postby bodom » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:48 pm

I love living here in San Antonio Texas.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby meindzai » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:00 pm

You must have infinite patience Bodom!
meindzai

Postby altar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:17 pm

I was talking with my grandmother today and she mentioned a ferry she was once on where the seats for whites were padded whereas the colored section had wooden benches. And the drinking fountains were labelled. So it's not all bad.
altar

Postby bodom » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:39 pm

altar wrote:I was talking with my grandmother today and she mentioned a ferry she was once on where the seats for whites were padded whereas the colored section had wooden benches. And the drinking fountains were labelled. So it's not all bad.

When was this ferry ride, 1963?

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:43 am

Attachments
texas.gif
texas.gif (84.29 KiB) Viewed 585 times
tex.gif
tex.gif (97.3 KiB) Viewed 585 times
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:59 am

Actually, there is a serious issue here other than Texas right-wing wingnuts trying to rewrite history. The state education system in Texas determines what texts are going to be used throughout the whole Texas, which can have a huge impact on school text book publishers throughout the whole of the United States. It is often too expensive to have a big publishing run of text books for Texas and change the books for other much smaller school systems, so other school system may end up with the same crap books Texas is using.

I once started a thread here on DW about the capacity of religion for making people really stupid and I got sharply abused for it, but it is true of religion and politics.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby effort » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am

tiltbillings wrote:...
I once started a thread here on DW about the capacity of religion for making people really stupid and I got sharply abused for it, but it is true of religion and politics.

this is quite obvious in many places in the world. like middle east.
effort

Postby alan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Can we get that thread up again?
alan

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:00 pm

alan wrote:Can we get that thread up again?

Have you looked at it?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1028
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:54 pm

altar wrote:I was talking with my grandmother today and she mentioned a ferry she was once on where the seats for whites were padded whereas the colored section had wooden benches. And the drinking fountains were labelled. So it's not all bad.

Where was this ferry ride? Cape Town?

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:

Where was this ferry ride? Cape Town?

Kim

Cape Town? Try Anytown, Mississippi or any number of Southern states in the Jim Crow South between 1876 and 1965.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:06 am

Don't for a minute believe that Texas has a monopoly on stupidity, ot for that matter, a monoply of mixing religion and politics to make really stupid decisions.
We are, hopefully, today voting out a Labor Party government in Tasmania. It is corrupt, incompetant and negligent. Unfortunately, some elements of the media down here are not independent which means there is essentially no political debate - certainly within the print media. Instead, we have one moronic columnist who, through her bible-quote peppered pieces, brings to mind the divine right of kings and suggests that we should just pray for our leaders and just be thankful. I've been living in Tasmania for a year now and its been an eyeopener.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:21 am

Greetings Ben,

Out of interest, how popular is Bob Brown down that way?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:54 am

Hi Paul

As you know, Dr Bob Brown is in the Australian Senate, so he isn't up for election today - even though his federal electorate is in Tasmania.
Politics tends to be more schizophrenic down herethan on the mainland. There's certainly a massive divide between those members of the community who are behind the greens (or who are concerned for the environment), and those who just see our natural resources as something to be harvested and turned into pulp. The leader of the Tasmanian Greens is Nick McKim and he seems to be quite popular. McKim and Co have been subjected to some very dirty tricks courtesy of Tasmanian Labor during the campaign. McKim has come out of the campaign with his integrity intact, unlike the Labor Premier, David Bartlett. The latest poll suggests that both Labor and Liberal will end up with ten seats each with the Greens holding 5. It is expected that the Greens will form a lose coalition so that the Labor or Liberal parties can form "minority" government. There is history with two previous 'hung' parliaments with the Greens holding the balance, and both times it ended in political stalemate and an early election. However, I think the electorate's distate for the Bartlett Labor Government is so great that many people are risking a hung parliament to be rid of Labor.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Next

Return to Lounge