Tiger Woods vows affinity to Buddhism forever

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Postby cooran » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Hello all,

Miami, FL (USA) -- Tiger Woods, the legendary yet disgraced golfer highlighted two aspects in his carefully orchestrated speech on February 19, rehabilitation and religion.
The billionaire athlete in his thirteen and half minute statement, his first public appearance since the unfortunate car crash outside his Florida mansion almost four months back setting off the sordid revelations about his illicit sexual affairs linking him to as many as eighteen mistress almost, not only apologized to his wife, family, friends and business associates for his appalling conduct but also vowed to go back to his Buddhist roots in an attempt to make redemption for his past transgressions and seek and attain salvation.
The ace golf champ who derived his Thai roots from his mother Kutilda Tida admitted in front of the press that his deviation from Buddhism led him to go astray.
The tarnished golfer repented that he “quit meditating” and “quit being a Buddhist” which caused his life to go “upside down” and vowed to wear the thin Buddhist bracelet, which he showed to Golf Channel viewers and said that the bracelet would continue to grace his hand when he makes his much-anticipated return to golf at the Masters next month (touted to be one of the greatest media spectacle in recent times.)
http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 08,0,0,1,0

May he begin again and follow the Precepts, practise generosity, and go back to meditation

with metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Re: Tiger Woods vows affinity to Buddhism forever

Postby bodom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Good for him. I wish him nothing but success and happiness.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm not aware of a 'Buddhist' bracelet.
Anyway, good for him. I hope its not just more spin and that he engages with practice earnestly.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Tex » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 pm

I hope Tiger is serious about this and practices earnestly. At first I was skeptical about him mentioning Buddhism -- the whole image rehabilitation program he's doing seems very contrived -- but hopefully practicing will help him save his marriage and a few years from now we'll look back and think of him as an example of how strongly the Dhamma can influence and reshape our lives.

Much metta to Tiger in his practice.

:buddha1:
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby Tex » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Ben wrote:I'm not aware of a 'Buddhist' bracelet.

Wondered about this, too. He said it's "for protection", so I guess it's a type of Thai amulet or something?
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:26 am

I don't know how many of you saw the virtually talentless and insufferable (my opinion here) so-called comedian Bill Maher's blog about Tiger Wood's apology, but in part he decided to take his usually "all-religion-is-crap" stance and take a dig at Buddhism:

But before Tiger moves on there's one more apology he really should make, and that's to Buddha, for dragging him into this mess and proving once again, that whenever something unspeakably tawdry, loathsome and cheap happens, just wait a few days. Religion will make it worse.

Now usually, when famous cheaters are looking for public redemption, they go to Jesus, but Tiger went old school, and claimed that sleeping with 2/3 of the waitresses in America had made him a failure as a Buddhist. He said Buddhism teaches you the way to inner peace is letting go of desire - and if that doesn't sound like marriage, I don't know what does.

Personally, if I was a golfer, I'd go with Jesus - because he's a Trinity, so when you walk with him, you've got a foursome. Christianity is for rubes. Buddhism is for actors.

And it really is outdated in some ways - the "Life sucks, and then you die" philosophy was useful when Buddha came up with it around 500 B.C., because back then life pretty much sucked, and then you died - but now we have medicine, and plenty of food, and iPhones, and James Cameron movies - our life isn't all about suffering anymore. And when we do suffer, instead of accepting it we try to alleviate it.

Tiger said, "Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves" makes us unhappy, which confirms something I've long suspected about Eastern religions: they're a crock, too.

Craving for things outside ourselves is what makes life life - I don't want to learn to not want, that's what people in prison have to do. Buddhism teaches suffering is inevitable. The only thing that's inevitable is that if you have fake boobs and hair extensions, Tiger Woods will try to f**** you.

And reincarnation? Really? If that were real, wouldn't there be some proof by now? A raccoon spelling out in acorns, "My name is Herb Zoller and I'm an accountant." ...something?

People are always debating, is Buddhism a religion or a philosophy: it's a religion. You're a religion if you do something as weird as when the Buddhist monks scrutinize two-year-olds to find the reincarnation of the dude who just died, and then choose one of the toddlers as the sacred Lama: "His poop is royal!" Sorry, but thinking you can look at a babbling, barely-housebroken, uneducated being and say, "That's our leader" doesn't make you enlightened. It makes you a Sarah Palin supporter.

The entire blog can be found here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/new-rule-stop-saying-sex_b_478545.html

As Red Skelton used to say, If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you'll like. :tongue:

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:42 am

I think the bracelet might be the ceremonial blessing string that Sri Lankan monks like to use. They chant protective verses such as Jaya-mangala-Gatha and then wrap and tie the string around the lay people.

Most of them are white, some yellow. I have a five color one (the Buddhist colors) that is weaved together that was given to me by a monk at Dharma Vijaya in Los Angeles.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:46 am

Bubbabuddhist wrote:The entire blog can be found here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/new-rule-stop-saying-sex_b_478545.html

It is also posted at his blog here:
http://therealbillmaher.blogspot.com/20 ... -like.html

You can see my comment there too, about halfway down through all of the comments.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:56 am

Greetings David,

David N. Snyder wrote:You can see my comment there too, about halfway down through all of the comments.

What name is it under?

Nevermind: just found it.... David (TheDhamma.com)

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 am

Nice post David
Somehow, I think it might be a case of casting a pearl into the pig sty.
I noted on Maher's blog on the Huffington Post site generated over 1,000 comments. I would be surprised if Maher was genuinely interested in an alternative point of view rather than what appears to be the intended purpose of generating interest in his blog and traffic to Huffington Post (or his other blogspot).
I did however see one old e-sangha member post on Maher's HP site which was interesting.
But nice effort David. If you gave one person there pause for thought - it will have been a worthwhile effort.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Paññāsikhara » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 am

cooran wrote:
May he begin again and follow the Precepts, practise generosity, and go back to meditation

Bodom wrote:Good for him. I wish him nothing but success and happiness.

Tex wrote:Much metta to Tiger in his practice.

Go Tiger, go!! :group:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Postby Mawkish1983 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:49 am

I really hope this works out for Mr Woods. Buddhism (or rather me following the Buddha's teachings as closely as I can) saved my marriage, of that there is no doubt. I can [slightly] relate to Mr Wood's situation, having been in a [slightly] similar situation myself. I really liked your response, David, to that comedian.
Mawkish1983

Postby plwk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 am

Thus Have I Heard...Once..in a song...by a band, 'The Coconuts'...
Cause I'm minding my own business for a change
Uh huh huh huh huh
Yeah I'm minding my own business for a change
Ooh yeah

:tongue:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby BlackBird » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 am

Ben wrote:Nice post David
Somehow, I think it might be a case of casting a pearl into the pig sty.
I noted on Maher's blog on the Huffington Post site generated over 1,000 comments. I would be surprised if Maher was genuinely interested in an alternative point of view rather than what appears to be the intended purpose of generating interest in his blog and traffic to Huffington Post (or his other blogspot).
I did however see one old e-sangha member post on Maher's HP site which was interesting.
But nice effort David. If you gave one person there pause for thought - it will have been a worthwhile effort.
metta

Ben

Well said.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote: I really liked your response, David, to that comedian.

Thanks Mawkish, Ben, and Jack!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby alan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Maher isn't the dumbest guy out there. In fact, for mainstream America, he is slightly to the left (that would be the good side), in politics and social policy. But like all comedians, he has a desperate need to please. He'll take a joke anyway he can get it.
Even Jon Stewart, who can be brilliant, resorts to this.
alan

Postby meindzai » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:30 pm

I thought Bill Maher was brilliant and funny when he was ripping on other religions, but now I don't. LOL Very childish, I know. :tantrum:

-M
meindzai

Postby bodom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:39 pm

meindzai wrote:I thought Bill Maher was brilliant and funny when he was ripping on other religions, but now I don't. LOL Very childish, I know. :tantrum:

-M

I think his movie Religilous is hilarious.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby meindzai » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm

bodom wrote:I think his movie Religilous is hilarious.

It really was. Honestly, I didn't see it so much as making fun of religions themselves as much as what has resulted from them - their misuse, fundamentalism, the shove-down-your-throat attitude, the justification of violence and abuse, the institutions (from Churches to amusement parks) built up around them, the self delusion of the closeted homosexuals railing against homosexuality on religious grounds, etc.

One of the things that attracted me to Buddhism was the absense (for the most part) of the above. I've never seen a Buddhist try to convince another Buddhist that they need to convert or be damned, or believe in "reincarnation" etc., and aside from the engaged Buddhist movement, Buddhism has been fairly quiet on social and political matters.

Oh well, whatever. :thinking:

-M
meindzai

Return to Lounge