Sri Lanka bans rapper Akon over racy video 'defaming Buddha'

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Sri Lanka bans rapper Akon over racy video 'defaming Buddha'

Postby meindzai » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:05 pm

I was listening to an NPR story recently that made reference to Muslims who get mad when they see an image of their Prophet depicted. I remember thinking "These people really need to chill out."

I think exactly the same thing here.

-M
meindzai

Postby alan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Another example of religion making people stupid.
alan

Postby alan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Really makes me want to go ordain in Sri Lanka, because that is where you meet all those spiritual, peaceful people who are so...oh, wait. Hmm.
alan

Postby adosa » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:09 pm

acinteyyo wrote:People add more content to things as there really is.
If somebody would kick a wooden buddha-rupa down the street, I wouldn't bother any more as if somebody would kick any other piece of wood down the street. In fact I wouldn't bother at all.

best wishes, acinteyyo

Agreed. Big deal.

adosa :smile:
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
adosa

Postby BlackBird » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:48 pm

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.

- MN 21

I don't think "Akon" had any intention to defame "Buddhism" in fact he's only a guest star in this music video, I doubt he made the decision to shoot the video at that location. Still seems to me a little strange that there are people here blaming "Akon" for all of this... In the end "Buddhism" can be just another attachment, aren't we supposed to be letting go of them?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby withoutcolour » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:40 am

In response to this video, there are two "We Hate Akon" buddhist-themed groups on facebook. I promptly messaged the creators of the groups to remind them that a buddhist group with the word "hate" in it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
I'm sort of upset at all of the negative attention all of this is bringing to buddhism. Especially the violence.
Akon says he honestly didn't mean it, and he apologized... which was very gracious of him. Karma's all about INTENTION, if I recall. He didn't intend to hurt anyone.
We also must remind ourselves not to be attached to images, even those of the buddha.

I extend compassion and love to both Akon and the Sri Lankans. Hopefully we can all get on the same page.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
withoutcolour

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:46 am

On the other hand:

some of Akon's lyrics are not suitable for public articulation.

Much wisdom here. :tongue:

J "I Hate Rap, Not the Rapper" Foppington
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby Mukunda » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:07 pm

Two things come to my mind. (1) How many of us western Buddhists are aware of the historical reality of colonial suppression of the Dhamma in Sri Lanka? and (2) Where is the outrage over the messages of sexual exploitation and denigration of women, violence, homophobia, etc that Akon and other rap performers promulgate?
Mukunda

Postby BlackBird » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Mukunda wrote:Two things come to my mind. (1) How many of us western Buddhists are aware of the historical reality of colonial suppression of the Dhamma in Sri Lanka?

May I ask what this has to do with Akon and the 'Buddha-defaming' video he appears in?

Mukunda wrote:and (2) Where is the outrage over the messages of sexual exploitation and denigration of women, violence, homophobia, etc that Akon and other rap performers promulgate?

There's plenty of it, just not here because well, why get outraged? Isn't that just giving in to your defilements? Why burden yourself with anger over something that's not gonna bring you any closer to happiness?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby bodom » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Mukunda wrote:(2) Where is the outrage over the messages of sexual exploitation and denigration of women, violence, homophobia, etc that Akon and other rap performers promulgate?

Sex sells. Simple as that.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Mukunda » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:47 am

BlackBird wrote:
Mukunda wrote:Two things come to my mind. (1) How many of us western Buddhists are aware of the historical reality of colonial suppression of the Dhamma in Sri Lanka?

May I ask what this has to do with Akon and the 'Buddha-defaming' video he appears in?

People who have had their religion suppressed by outside forces are likely to be more sensitive to perceived slights. To then say that these people shouldn't get so upset is asking to ignore history, and their own cultural sensibilities.
Mukunda

Postby Mukunda » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:51 am

BlackBird wrote:
Mukunda wrote:and (2) Where is the outrage over the messages of sexual exploitation and denigration of women, violence, homophobia, etc that Akon and other rap performers promulgate?

There's plenty of it, just not here because well, why get outraged? Isn't that just giving in to your defilements? Why burden yourself with anger over something that's not gonna bring you any closer to happiness?

I guess my practice hasn't advanced to a level to where I can turn a blind eye to injustice, or tell myself that it doesn't matter. Unfortunately I cling to the belief that there are things more important than my happiness.
Mukunda

Postby BlackBird » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:13 am

Mukunda wrote:
BlackBird wrote:

I guess my practice hasn't advanced to a level to where I can turn a blind eye to injustice, or tell myself that it doesn't matter. Unfortunately I cling to the belief that there are things more important than my happiness.

My point wasn't that one should turn a blind eye to injustice, furthermore I apologise if I seem to be patronizing you here - It's not my intention, but I may as well be guilty.

I think that injustice is in the eye of the beholder. Take for example the company that have already paid for this concert to go ahead, I imagine they will have invested quite a lot of money in this show (which is already sold out). Now the government has said the show won't go ahead, because the rapper is banned from obtaining a visa because he has appeared in a video which had a Buddha-rupa in the background for a few seconds while bikini clad women danced about a couch. If losing all that money wasn't bad enough, an angry mob stormed their building injuring four of their employees, smashed their windows and damaged some parked cars outside.

From their perspective, there's quite a lot of injustice there too, don't you think?

My point I guess (and I could rightly be labelled a hypocrite), is that we should try our best to act in a way that is conducive to our own happiness. After all, whether we realize it or not, that's what we're all seeking. Anger will never bring us that. Romantic notions of justice and setting right what we perceive as wrong are all to often impediments to a clear vision of how things really are. People (like Akon) will continue to do their own thing, and even if you somehow manage to someone doing something you don't like, there will always be another 50 just like him waiting in the wings.

metta
Jack
BlackBird

Postby Mukunda » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:01 am

BlackBird wrote:I think that injustice is in the eye of the beholder. Take for example the company that have already paid for this concert to go ahead, I imagine they will have invested quite a lot of money in this show (which is already sold out). Now the government has said the show won't go ahead, because the rapper is banned from obtaining a visa because he has appeared in a video which had a Buddha-rupa in the background for a few seconds while bikini clad women danced about a couch. If losing all that money wasn't bad enough, an angry mob stormed their building injuring four of their employees, smashed their windows and damaged some parked cars outside.

Somehow, the "injustice" of a company investing money in a venture involving wrong livelihood, then losing that money escapes me. Though I doubt they lost much, if anything, considering the availability and common use of insurance and completion bonds in show business today. The injury of employees and damage to property is definitely unfortunate, but "When you lie with dogs, you're bound to get fleas."
Mukunda

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:24 am

Well, I wish metta and karuna to everyone involved in this, on both 'sides'. As long as there are 'sides' there will always be beings in need of metta and karuna. Can't see that changing any time soon.
Mawkish1983

Previous

Return to Lounge