Rocket Science...

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Rocket Science...

Postby Guy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:46 am

Sobeh wrote:It isn't easy to have compassion for everyone, but those poor bastards are stuck in samsara just like you and me. Deriving mirth from their struggles seems a little bit off-target.

Yeah, you're probably right, it was a little insensitive of me wasn't it?
Last edited by Guy on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Re: Rocket Science...

Postby effort » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:53 am

i'm not good in solving puzzles!

but you mean the movie or ...
effort

Postby Sobeh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:57 am

It isn't easy to have compassion for everyone, but those poor bastards are stuck in samsara just like you and me. Deriving mirth from their struggles seems a little bit off-target.
Sobeh

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:30 am

A few years Judge Judy was in Australia and got into a great deal of trouble with our judiciary with regards to some scurrilous remarks she made regarding the needle exchange program (harm minimalisation program) for people with substance abuse:
Judge Judy Says: Murder Heroin Users
TV's popular "Judge Judy" -- Judy Sheindlin - is a hanging judge when it comes to drug users and drug reform efforts. In fact, she recently called for *murdering* heroin addicts.

On November 16, while on a book promotion tour in Australia, Judge Judy was asked about that country's needle exchange program, which supplies clean needles to heroin addicts in order to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and other diseases among addicts and those with whom addicts have relationships. (Such programs are also advocated by many American drug reformers.)

She retorted that such proposals were lead by "liberal morons." Her counter-proposal? "Give 'em all dirty needles and let 'em die. . .I don't understand why we think it's important to keep them alive."

Bob Aldred, chief executive of the Alcohol and Drug Foundation of Queensland, defended Australia's needle exchange program as a life-saving success, and said Judge Judy's comments were "callous and deplorable" and showed no regard for children, parents and others trying to deal with addiction.

The American drug reform group DrugSense noted that Judge Judy's comments "illustrate the depth of the hate produced by the war on drugs."

Judge Judy's new book is entitled, perhaps appropriately, "Beauty Fades, Dumb is Forever."

(Sources: Australian Associated Press / DrugSense FOCUS December 8, 1999)

I don't know who are worse... the people who end up in front of judge judy or judge judy herself.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Guy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 am

She retorted that such proposals were lead by "liberal morons." Her counter-proposal? "Give 'em all dirty needles and let 'em die. . .I don't understand why we think it's important to keep them alive."

Yikes.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Guy

Postby Sobeh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:55 am

Guy wrote:Yeah, you're probably right, it was a little insensitive of me wasn't it?

Hey, my first reaction was still :lol: , and I sat composing a response for something like five minutes. Don't think I'm all light and lotuses!
Sobeh

Return to Lounge